Remodeling Three Bathrooms

rickulivi

Registered
Hi

Does anybody have any experience they can share about remodeling bathrooms in an apartment in BA?

I live in the States but own an apt. in Bs. As and want to start using it more often, maybe a few weeks at a time. Presently, it has one full bathroom, a small one with no shower and a "maids" bathroom. I want to transform them into three full bathrooms. We have drawn out the plans and interviewed an excellent architect, but his quote seemed high to me. Of course, I have no idea of what it can actually cost, so it was just a gut feeling that it was high. I realize I could be completely wrong.

I may be also interested in meeting a general contractor as opposed to an architect just to get a different look at the remodeling. I think they are called "maestro de obras".

I will not be in Bs. As. during construction so that may be an invitation to calamity. I have lots of experience remodeling in California but none in Argentina and the two systems are so different that it makes my experience useless..

I appreciate any feedback. If you prefer to remain anonymous, please email me at [email protected]

I can only wish you luck. :)

If you're not going to be here for the process then I strongly suggest you find someone who will look after your behalf. It's been my experience that if you're not watching, corners will be cut and bad decisions made. Then again I may have just been unlucky.

Crema Americana:

Thank you for your reply. I could not agree more with you but how do I find that person you suggest?

When i have remodeled in California, I was always the first one on the job each day. Once planned activities got scheduled, I would return in the afternoon to supervise. But, I cannot do that in Argentina, unless i want to postpone the project for several years.

Things work a little different here in Buenos AIres. Generally the architect will over see the work , and get a percentage of the total cost for these services. That way , if you find one you can trust , they will be sure the work is done to what they expect your goals are. They hire the contractors , source materials , schedule the work , get permits , etc.... Some time would have to be here to pick tiles , fixtures , etc.... The biggest suppliers have web sites , and you may peruse those.

To give a set of plans to a contractor would be inviting unknowns. generally it is not done like that on these type jobs. Things are very expensive here. If paying cash , IVA , can be avoided , but it takes being on top of things.

May I ask where the apartment is located ? I have an excellent Architect , and depending on where the apartment is , may be able to help. PM me for details. She did my whole apartment , some while away.

I agree. Architects here usually oversee all of the work, certainly if the work is going to have an impact on the original plans of the apartment.

I have just remodelled 8 bathrooms in my new place here. Happy to recommend my architects. Normal form is they charge 20% of contract price to plan and supervise.

cutting corners is an artform here. best to have someone there at ALL times supervising and checking the work.

Mano Negra.

Thank you for your reply. I did send you an email to your 5th floor website. Hope to hear again from you.

Hi,

I´m an architect living and working here. Sent you a pm.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Back