Renew US passport?

SamC

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm a US citizen living in Argentina and my (US) passport expires in January. For the past several months I've completely failed at making an appointment to have it renewed. According to the US consulate website you need to make an appointment, which you supposedly can do online, but there are never any appointments available. I've tried calling and it's impossible to get to a person, only recordings, and the recording actually says that the consulate is closed. Has anyone successfully renewed a US passport here since covid started, or have any ideas on what to do? many thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm a US citizen living in Argentina and my (US) passport expires in January. For the past several months I've completely failed at making an appointment to have it renewed. According to the US consulate website you need to make an appointment, which you supposedly can do online, but there are never any appointments available. I've tried calling and it's impossible to get to a person, only recordings, and the recording actually says that the consulate is closed. Has anyone successfully renewed a US passport here since covid started, or have any ideas on what to do? many thanks!
Take the time to send an E-mail would be one option.

Contact consular services in EE UU and see if they can guide you would be another option.

Hey Sam, hope this helps...was in a similar situation and started to log in everyday to try to get an appointment. I would try 10 different times a day, on my 4th day of trying I was able to get one for 4 weeks away. Dont know if it was luck or not but you should try it, while you try to email aswell or look for other alternatives.

Others seem to have had similar difficulties: search on this site for "passport" for recent comments. Long story short: it appears that you just have to keep trying over and over until you finally get through on the phone. There are appointments to be had, though.

Good luck!

Back