renewed passport needs new visa?

Choripán

Registered
I should be getting my new passport later this week. The now-expired old one will be returned with the new one.

Does anyone know whether I need to check in with Argentine immigration for a new tourist visa stamp in the new passport? Can I just wait until next time I leave and re-enter the country?

Also, is it possible to transfer the gringo tax receipt I paid when first arriving last year to the new passport? Or do I have to carry the old one with me every time I travel?

Thanks for the help! CP

Don't know about the gringo tax bit, but we brought the old passport and just showed it to the immigration agent when she asked about our visa. She did not have any problems with it at all.

No, just take your old passport, Cheng is right. Did this with a friend in the same situation who got a new passport in BA, no problems.

Do not know about the reciprocity fee, but worth a try carrying your old passport with you for proof.

Cheng said:
Don't know about the gringo tax bit, but we brought the old passport and just showed it to the immigration agent when she asked about our visa. She did not have any problems with it at all.

This only applies to an American (EEUU) passport holder. The tourist visas are free. I can only speak from experience. I don't know what happens with other passport holders.

Cheng said:
This only applies to an American (EEUU) passport holder. The tourist visas are free. I can only speak from experience. I don't know what happens with other passport holders.

What I meant by the gringo tax is the US$130 reciprocity fee that must be paid on first entry into Argentina. There is of course an Argie tax of equal value going the other way. The receipt for the gringo tax is valid for ten years.

I'm not sure what category this fee belongs to, whether it counts as a kind of visa. It looks like a visa and resides in my passport as an enormous paper stamp, like other visas I have. And not having it will prevent me from entering the country, unless I get another one. I have to show it every time I enter through Ezeiza, though no one seems to care at other border crossings.

With the new passport, I will no longer have this receipt of payment. So the question is, can I get a replacement for it or must I carry the old passport with me every time I leave the country, for the next eight and a half years? Does anyone have any direct experience with this problem?

Thanks again for the help. CP

You have to carry your new and old passport when you come and go. I have first hand experience. My first entry with my new passport I asked immigrations if there was a way to avoid carrying both the new and old passport. The response was either carry both passports or pay the ¨reciprocity¨fee again. So, I have been carrying the new and old passports every time I go through immigrations.

Back