Rental Car, Crack In Windshield Question

camel

Registered
I rented a car from a place in Belgrano for a road trip around Patagonia, and along the way, a pebble hit the windshield and caused a crack about 10 or 12 inches long. I'll be returning the car later this week, and I'm wondering what to expect. When I rented the car, I asked if the price included insurance ("seguros") and he said yes, so I paid with cash (but the company has my credit card number). Will the "insurance" cover this? Is there a deductible? Worst case, does anyone know what a new windshield for a VW Suran goes for in Buenos Aires?

Also, what is the local word for windshield in castellano? I see parabrisas and guardabrisa in google translate.

I rented a car from a place in Belgrano for a road trip around Patagonia, and along the way, a pebble hit the windshield and caused a crack about 10 or 12 inches long. I'll be returning the car later this week, and I'm wondering what to expect. When I rented the car, I asked if the price included insurance ("seguros") and he said yes, so I paid with cash (but the company has my credit card number). Will the "insurance" cover this? Is there a deductible? Worst case, does anyone know what a new windshield for a VW Suran goes for in Buenos Aires?

Also, what is the local word for windshield in castellano? I see parabrisas and guardabrisa in google translate.

Its a pretty big crack .. cracks can be fixed so it will not spread are sometimes not noticeable. Hertz insurance policy has special additional coverage for Patagonia for pebbles, most insurance policies don't cover that event.

Parabrisas for Suran will run $2500 installed... Now how much will the rental company charge...?

http://autos.mercadolibre.com.ar/accesorios/parabrisas-nuevo-volkswagen-suran-fox_ItemTypeID_N

A crack that big cannot be fixed and will require a new windshield FYI.

I would read over your contract very carefully, I'm sure there's something in there about not repairing the car yourself. It's unlikely to be covered by the insurance but you might be able to get some coverage through your credit card, though not sure how that works if it was just used for a deposit and not the actual rental.

Stop at a place with the sign: Se arregla/cambia Parabrisa.Buy the cheapest made-in-China or Korea windshield then replace with
before returning your rent a car. Otherwise, you will be billed for a original manufactured one, ( read=C$ostly )

suppose if the tires wore out, would expect to pay for tires. Wind shields are part of doing business. However it's Argentina so prepare for the worse case. Cancel the credit card. Take the car back. These rental car places in AR are dedicated to screwing you.

suppose if the tires wore out, would expect to pay for tires. Wind shields are part of doing business. However it's Argentina so prepare for the worse case. Cancel the credit card. Take the car back. These rental car places in AR are dedicated to screwing you.

Gravel roads in Patagonia are a frequent cause for broken windshields. It's so common that Hertz sells an add on insurance rider for broken wind shields. Mi car insurance covers broken side and rear glasses but not the wind shield. If one of your tires is vandalized and punctured with a knife on the side, you are responsible, as well as arson and vandalism , not covered by insurance.

In general insurances cover these stuff for free. Well, not for free, I mean without an additional paying. It happens everywhere here with every insurance, not the expensive ones. I have the cheapest and my parabrisas was replaced twice in four years for free. I dont know with rented cars, though

In general insurances cover these stuff for free. Well, not for free, I mean without an additional paying. It happens everywhere here with every insurance, not the expensive ones. I have the cheapest and my parabrisas was replaced twice in four years for free. I dont know with rented cars, though

Yeahhh Matias you don't seem to know the special insurance coverage clauses that apply in the dirt roads in Patagonia :cool:

Yeahhh Matias you don't seem to know the special insurance coverage clauses that apply in the dirt roads in Patagonia :cool:

You re right, I dont know. I was trying to help by telling that the cheapest insurance covers replacement of parabrisas without charging for it. Theres a posibility that this does not work with rented cars, but I doubt it.

Back