Rental cars in cash?

Sudovest

Registered
Looking to rent a car from Avis (or give other suggestions if you have them) in FTE, USH and MDZ. With Avis, will they let you give a credit card as a deposit but then pay cash when you return the car to get the blue dollar rate? I've tried calling but can't get in touch with any Avis office in Argentina

i have recently rented cars several times in CABA, with my US visa, and got the MEP rate without issue. i'm not sure if locations would accept a couple hundred thousand in pesos (which is probably what a rental will cost for a week or so)

Only XP with Hertz they block an amount from your USA credit Card as deposit. Payment with a US credit card will get the MEP rate? Other local cars rentals may have other policies.

i have recently rented cars several times in CABA, with my US visa, and got the MEP rate without issue. i'm not sure if locations would accept a couple hundred thousand in pesos (which is probably what a rental will cost for a week or so)
Good to know. So they charge you in pesos and you get blue dollar rate even if the website lists prices in dollars? Which car rental agency did you use?

Yes, all car rental agencies will cheerfully accept payment for rental cars in pesos cash. I have paid cash for rental cars over the last 24 months in Calafate, Ushuaia (2x), Bariloche, Mendoza, and Esquel.

Good to know. So they charge you in pesos and you get blue dollar rate even if the website lists prices in dollars? Which car rental agency did you use?
they charge in pesos at the official rate yes. I've rented from avis, hertz, sixt, and even a smaller one in CABA.

they charge in pesos at the official rate yes. I've rented from avis, hertz, sixt, and even a smaller one in CABA.
What if the counter isn’t open when you return the car? I have a flight at 8 but the car rental agency opens at 8. Can I prepay in cash?

If not, will they charge my credit card in pesos or USD?

Yes, all car rental agencies will cheerfully accept payment for rental cars in pesos cash. I have paid cash for rental cars over the last 24 months in Calafate, Ushuaia (2x), Bariloche, Mendoza, and Esquel.
Did you pay before or after the rental? Avis opens at 8am at FTE but my flight leaves at 7:45 so I’d need to do a key drop.

Did you pay before or after the rental? Avis opens at 8am at FTE but my flight leaves at 7:45 so I’d need to do a key drop.
Yes, you can pay for the entire rental in cash upon taking possession of the car and the agency will be very happy that you do so. I did exactly this and do the same when planning to pay for hotels in peso cash to take advantage of the FX arbitrage. No point in carrying around the extra bundles of peso cash.

Yes, you can pay for the entire rental in cash upon taking possession of the car and the agency will be very happy that you do so.
Amazing-thanks! Even with the big guys like Avis? They just take a deposit on the card for insurance?

Also, if the price is listed in dollars when I book, do they just convert to pesos at the official rate?

Back