Renting with pets?

jenndean

Registered
Hi all,

I have searched the forum archives, the internet, etc.. and cannot seem to find a clear answer as to how easy it is to find a long term apartment that allows pets (a cat or small dog). Most postings do not say anything regarding pets. We do not currently have a pet, but I would like it to be an option as we are about to sign for the next 2 years (we have a garantia). Of course, I know we can always ask the agency/landlord at the time of viewing an apt. But at the same time we would not want to pass something up that meets all of our other needs if finding a pet-friendly place is pretty rare.

So, does anyone know if allowing pets in rentals is the exception or the rule?

Thanks!

I would suggest letting the rental agent know that you would like a pet friendly apartment. It all depends on the owner and the quality of the property. If it's a really nice property, the owner most likely won't allow pets. But like I said, try to clarify this with your rental agent before so you don't waste your time or the owners time viewing a property that doesn't fit your needs.

Good luck.

jenndean said:
Hi all,

I have searched the forum archives, the internet, etc.. and cannot seem to find a clear answer as to how easy it is to find a long term apartment that allows pets (a cat or small dog). Most postings do not say anything regarding pets. We do not currently have a pet, but I would like it to be an option as we are about to sign for the next 2 years (we have a garantia). Of course, I know we can always ask the agency/landlord at the time of viewing an apt. But at the same time we would not want to pass something up that meets all of our other needs if finding a pet-friendly place is pretty rare.

So, does anyone know if allowing pets in rentals is the exception or the rule?

Thanks!

I am renting with a dog and there is a difference between renting for expats and local rents with garantia.If you are going through an agency I found the pricier apartments were more lenient about pets . Judging by the number of pets in my building there must be a way . Hundred apartments and at least a dog on every floor .Don´t be shy to ask.

renting with pets is pretty easy, but make sure you put it into the contract. you will be told, "no problem" all the way along until someone later informs you it was not possible for the building rules etc.
having said that, before buying, i have rented with a Labrador in tow and currently rent my office and bring the dog to work.
good luck

It depends on the Reglamento del Consorcio del edificio.

When we looked at renting an apartment for two years, we were told that almost all of the properties will allow pets. The only exceptions were really with buildings that did not allow pets.

Back