Rentista Visa

mlee

Registered
Based on what I've found regarding a Rentista Visa, (mostly from this forum, big thanks, terrific help on evolving rules), I need to come to Buenos Aires before beginning a Rentista application process. Last time I examined the requirements at Migracion, it referenced the applicant's attorney and left me with the impression an attorney is necessary. Is this the case?

Does every tourist receive a 90 day stamp? Do I need to specifically request it upon entry to assure I get a 90-day? Is that enough time to complete the Rentista visa process if I arrive with the appropriate documents and begin soon after arrival? We visited a couple of times. They probably asked how long we planned to stay and I never paid any attention.

I see in the Argentine embassy in Bogota, there is a Tourist Visa. Why? If everyone who arrives in Argentina gets a 90 day stamp? Makes me wonder if I need one.

Is a Rentista visa the appropriate visa if I have a qualifying pension? We plan to be there for exactly one year. The embassy is very helpful to my wife who qualifies for a Mercosur Visa but simply will not communicate with me, not sure if it's because I'm a US citizen.

Based on what I've found regarding a Rentista Visa, (mostly from this forum, big thanks, terrific help on evolving rules), I need to come to Buenos Aires before beginning a Rentista application process. Last time I examined the requirements at Migracion, it referenced the applicant's attorney and left me with the impression an attorney is necessary. Is this the case?

No.

Does every tourist receive a 90 day stamp? Do I need to specifically request it upon entry to assure I get a 90-day? Is that enough time to complete the Rentista visa process if I arrive with the appropriate documents and begin soon after arrival? We visited a couple of times. They probably asked how long we planned to stay and I never paid any attention.

You will get a 90 day tourist stamp because you are a US citizen. You won't have to ask for it.

There will be plenty of time for you to apply for temporary residency after your arrival and, after you submit your application, you will automatically receive a 90 day extension of your initial tourist stamp, so you have nothing to worry about,

I see in the Argentine embassy in Bogota, there is a Tourist Visa. Why? If everyone who arrives in Argentina gets a 90 day stamp? Makes me wonder if I need one.

As you're a US citizen, you don't need to apply for a "tourist visa" prior to your arrival in Argentina.

Is a Rentista visa the appropriate visa if I have a qualifying pension? We plan to be there for exactly one year.

If you have a pension, you will be applying for the visa pensionado, not the visa rentista, regardless of which one you think you are asking for.

I know this from experience.

The embassy is very helpful to my wife who qualifies for a Mercosur Visa but simply will not communicate with me, not sure if it's because I'm a US citizen.

As far as I know, everything you need to do to get the visa pensionado must be done in Argentina. I don't think the embassy can help you in any way, so you can ignore...them just like they have ignored you.

Last edited:
As far as I know, everything you need to do to get the visa pensionado must be done in Argentina.

Of course you will need to have your FBI report and proof of your pension income, both of which you can request prior to your arrival in Argentina.

Both must receive the Apostille in the US.

After your arrival you will need to have them translated and the translations must be "legalized" before you submit them to migraciones.

Of course you will need to have your FBI report and proof of your pension income, both of which you can request prior to your arrival in Argentina.

Both must receive the Apostille in the US.

After your arrival you will need to have them translated and the translations must be "legalized" before you submit them to migraciones.

Very helpful, thanks. I've been a resident of Colombia for 8 years, so I imagine the Colombian criminology report is the equivalent of the FBI report.

Also, I recently got a letter from the US Embassy addressed to Colombia Migracion verifying my Social Security payments for the same purpose (renewing my Colombian residency visa). Maybe the US Embassy in Buenos Aires provides the same letter to Argentine Migraciones for the same purpose? Or if they didn't, maybe the US Embassy in Colombia could before I come to Argentina.

Thanks again for all this attention and response. Very reassuring.

Very helpful, thanks. I've been a resident of Colombia for 8 years, so I imagine the Colombian criminology report is the equivalent of the FBI report.

Then I suggest you get the Colombian criminology report less than 90 (if not 60) days prior to the date you plan to be able to submit your docs to Argentine migraciones (or start the on line process using RADEX).

Argentine migraciones may (still) only ask for a report from any country in which you have lived for more than one year in the past three (if not five) years. Hopefully, you won't also need an FBI report, but I'm not certain.

Also, I recently got a letter from the US Embassy addressed to Colombia Migracion verifying my Social Security payments for the same purpose (renewing my Colombian residency visa). Maybe the US Embassy in Buenos Aires provides the same letter to Argentine Migraciones for the same purpose? Or if they didn't, maybe the US Embassy in Colombia could before I come to Argentina.

Yes, you can get an official benefits letter (in Spanish) from the US Embassy in Argentina (by appointment only) and have it authenticated (by appointment only) in Buenos Aires (at an office on Aranales in Retiro near the Plaza San Martin). Another member should be able to provide the name and address of this office.

Hi all. In regards to Visa Rentista...on the migration official site it says you must have proof of your rental income or "any other lawful income" from external sources. Would this include a trust? What are other forms of lawful income are accepted to be granted a VISA Rentista? Has anyone been granted this VISA with income that wasn't from rental properties? Additionally, does this VISA allow you to be employed here once it's granted? Thank you in advance for any and all help. It's always greatly appreciated.

Hi all. In regards to Visa Rentista...on the migration official site it says you must have proof of your rental income or "any other lawful income" from external sources. Would this include a trust?

Yes

What are other forms of lawful income are accepted to be granted a VISA Rentista?

An annuity, dividends from stocks and bonds, interest income from CD's, or the funds that would be generated quarterly as a number of them are redeemed in succession (as set up within a trust ).

Has anyone been granted this VISA with income that wasn't from rental properties?

Yes. A significant amount of the funds in my trust were invested in an annuity when I had temporary residency.

After I asked for and received the cambio de categoris to residencia permanente on the third renewal, it no longer mattered

Additionally, does this VISA allow you to be employed here once it's granted?

Yes

Yes

An annuity, dividends from stocks and bonds, interest income from CD's, or the funds that would be generated quarterly as a number of them are redeemed in succession (as set up within a trust ).

Yes. A significant amount of the funds in my trust were invested in an annuity when I had temporary residency.

After I asked for and received the cambio de categoris to residencia permanente on the third renewal, it no longer mattered

Yes
Thank you so much Steve. I have my FBI report on order from the US and will then get all my Argentine ducks in a row. How did you go about proving your income? A statement of the funds from the trust from your financial institution which has been apostilled? I plan on trying to set this up when I'm back in the States and just want to be certain I've got everything as close to ready to finally get temporary residency and hopefully renew until I can make it permanent in a few years. Again, thank you.

How did you go about proving your income? A statement of the funds from the trust from your financial institution which has been apostilled?

I asked the lawyer who set up the trust to write a cover letter (which I dictated) that referred to the trust and detailed how the income would be distributed.

That letter was notarized and apostilled and attached to a copy of the trust.

I also asked a bank officer to write a letter (which I dictated) that acknowledged the monthly deposits to my account that were sent from the broker (R. H. Baird) with whom the funds were invested and that letter was also notarized and apostilled.

You might be able to have the bank do everything, including setting up a "trust account" and thereby avoid using (and paying) a lawyer.

Is a Rentista visa the appropriate visa if I have a qualifying pension? We plan to be there for exactly one year. The embassy is very helpful to my wife who qualifies for a Mercosur Visa but simply will not communicate with me, not sure if it's because I'm a US citizen.
Hi there, with regards to your enquiry, you need to know that the RENTISTA visa is a very difficult visa to secure. You need to show that you have assets or sufficient wealth in your home country (certified by a CPA) and that you assume the committment of transferring certain amount of money every month to cover your stay (nowadays it´s AR$ 30,000 monthly). In addition to these accounting documents, you need to gather a general requirement for all adults which is securing a Criminal Background Check Certificate corresponding to the countries where you have lived for more than 1 year over the past 3 years. If you only lived in Colombia, then you will only need to submit your Colombian Police Clearance Certificate.

A couple of things to have in mind:

1) If your wife has a MERCOSUR Nationality, she can apply for a 2 year visa based on her nationality, and if you have sufficient proof that you are married (Marriage Certificate), you can enjoy the same benefits of this 2-year visa because you would be a DEPENDANT. Dependants are allowed to WORK in Argentina. For MERCOSUR Nationals, The WORK PERMIT is OPEN, meaning that it´s not restricted to only one employer, and it does not require a previous Company Sponsorship.

2) The MERCOSUR VISA can either be secured at the Embassy or IN COUNTRY, by entering Argentina as a tourist, and then requesting an appointment to switch the Tourism Status into a MERCOSUR VISA.

3) The Argentine Embassy in Colombia offers the TOURISM VISA STAMP to those who are in Colombia who actually NEED a visa to Argentina, For example, Indian National living in Colombia who wishes to travel to ARG. This is not your case, you don´t need to go to the Embassy for a Tourism Visa, you can just fly to ARG and enter as a Tourist.

4) Once you enter the country, they stamp a 90-day entry permission. Filing a Visa Request may take you approx. 7 business days in total, so you have plenty of time to convert your status.. It is of the essence that you bring all the documents that the Immigration Authority will require.

5) I strongly recommend not to go for the RENTISTA VISA as there are no clear rules about it, the visa analysis period may take longer, and the rejection rate will be much higher. I recommend that you focus on being a Dependant using your wife´s MERCOSUR VISA (for that, BOTH OF YOU need to apply for the VISA TOGETHER), or think some other alternatives which may require a more thorough discussion (i.e. setting up your own entity and sponsor your own employment, find a friend who might use his company to sponsor you, etc etc).

6) Any and all official foreign documents such as: Marriage Certificate, Criminal Background Check Certificate, need to be legalized with the APOSTILLE. Without it, the document CANNOT be submitted in Argentina. If the document is not in Spanish, then it needs to be Translated ONLY by Argentine Public Translators. Don´t waste time and money getting them translated outside of ARG.

I hope you find this info useful! Good Luck!

Back