Rescuing a dog?

lisakw

Registered
Our family of 4 have been living in Buenos Aires for 5 months (on sabbatical) and we have one more month to go. After exploring this amazing city, and a lot of this beautiful country, we have also fallen in love with many of the dogs we have seen who might need homes. So we are entertaining the idea of trying to find a rescue dog who might want to come home with us, to the US - but we have no idea if this is even possible. Does anyone have any tips about where we might find a dog to rescue AND, most importantly, what the process is if we did find one? We have roughly one month?

It’s always heart wrenching to see stray dogs, in any country. It would take quite a bit of money and you would possibly find after spending the money at a vet that the dog is a no go. Then what will you do? Put it back on the street after it has experienced a potentially wonderful new home? My advice is there are plenty of dogs to rescue in the US. Do it when you get home.

We have taken our dog to and from Argentina to the states a couple times. To leave Arg and enter the US you need to go through the SENASA paperwork. Getting the pup into the states was easier than getting him into Arg.

I don't see how they would know that you adopted one while you were in Argentina. You just need the vet appointment and any shots required for the states. I think there is some time after the shots required before you can apply to senasa.

We have taken our dog to and from Argentina to the states a couple times. To leave Arg and enter the US you need to go through the SENASA paperwork. Getting the pup into the states was easier than getting him into Arg.

I don't see how they would know that you adopted one while you were in Argentina. You just need the vet appointment and any shots required for the states. I think there is some time after the shots required before you can apply to senasa.
Thank you. I will look into the SENASA paperwork. That is helpful information.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your thoughts. I totally see your point. We, of course, wouldn’t adopt the dog unless we knew we could take it with us. That is why I am asking these questions, so we know what it all entails. Feliz Navidad!

I brought my dogs from Argentina to the states in January of this year. There is a also pest of some type that they are looking for. Asking a vet is your best bet. The problem with a stray dog is you don’t know what else you may encounter that could take more time than the month that you have.

Back