Residency after marriage

Alilou

Registered
There has to be like 900 posts on this subject... but I couldn't find any recent info on the process of applying for residency after marrying an Argentine citizen. So a few basic questions...

1. What documents do I need?
2. What sort of residency do I get? (permanent or temporary)
3. How long does it take?
4. Does having a lawyer help? (as in, does it happen faster)

Thanks in advance!

1. What documents do I need?

You need your:

- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Antecedentes Penales in your home country
- Antecedentes Penals in Argentina

I may be forgetting something, I'm doing this from memory

All of your documents from your home country will need to be sent to the Argentine Embassy in your country for legalizacion. They charge about 50 bucks a document if I remember correctly.

Then you need to get these documents translated by an official translator from the Colegio de Traductores. You can have this done here. It is about 125 - 150 pesos a document. Plus the sellado for each one, which is about 35 pesos a document.

If you want I can pass you our translators details, she was relatively cheap but you have to take the papers yourself over to Corrientes for the sellado.

You also need your passport to have more than 6 mos, and possibly even 12 mos left on it. I can't remember exactly, I just know that i had to get mine renewed in order to do it. Cha-ching there goes another 100 bucks or so -- if you're Canadian and you have to renew outside of Canada it can cost up to 180 bucks!

2. What sort of residency do I get? (permanent or temporary)

You'll have to renew your residency (or DNI) I always mix up which is which 3x before it becomes permanent as far as I remember.

3. How long does it take?

Yikes. Well from the time of getting your docs legalised in your home country, getting them sent down here, taking them to be traduced, getting your antecedentes penales, getting a turno, to getting everything issued, well if you're lazy like us it's going to be a year or so, lol. But you do have to do certin things in an orderly fashion or the sellados will expire. I think once you've had your turno for a spouse it's only supposed to be 60 days to issue your residency, I haven't looked it up and as I say we're lazy so we're still at the step of getting my Antecedentes penales (and we've been putting this off because we're right now not even sure if we're going to need the residency for me or if we're going to be moving on from Argentina before it even gets issued).

4. Does having a lawyer help? (as in, does it happen faster)

I have no idea.

As far as I'm concerned if you haven't committed a crime in the past and you speak the language there's no reason to spend the extra cash on the lawyer.

By the time you pay the consulate fees, the translator fees, the colegio de traductores, the police / FBI for your criminal records, and if you're unlucky like me and have to get a new birth certificate because your original one is rejected for being "too old" -- jeez, thanks, what does that say about me?? -- you're going to have shelled out quite a few hundred dollars -- oh and all your postage costs.

I haven't even paid the residency fee yet and I've already racked up:

us$20 postage fees to send birth, marriage, and police certs to Embassy-- oh original birth certificate rejected so new one=
us$35 new birth certificate
us$20 more postage
us$30 police report at home -- oh rejected because it doesn't have the Dept Foreign Affairs seal on it so:
us$150 DFAIT stamp
us$50 rush on DFAIT stamp so police report wouldn't expire
us$20 postage fees
us$100 new passport
us$50 legalizacion of birth certificate at Argentine consulate
us$50 " " marriage " "
us$50 " " police " "

THEN:
$380 pesos translation fees
$135 seals from Colegio de traductores

So I'm at approx $700 usd for the process already (granted the passport renewal would have had to happen regardless)

If you're from a different country you may be lucky and not have to do all the bs of sending things to the embassy etc, but really, everyone wants their piece of the pie, so although the 600 pesos or whatever it is sounds cheap for the residency, the extra costs add up quite a bit.

I actually have most my documents already... including the new birth certificate apostilled, translated, the works. I was going to go back to school a while back to get a student visa but I just couldn't convince myself to study for no reason but to get a visa. SO it sounds like I have everything but the FBI background check (I have one that is over six months old and I've been back to the US since so its invalid) and the antecedentes penales here. Oh yeah... and the actually getting married part. Ha ha...

When you marry an argentine you get permanent residency automatically when you go to immigrations and present every document. No waiting periods or renewals.

I just did this last month - I now have my precaria and am awaiting my dni (a few stray documents they then decided I need renewed pending!).
You need:

Passport + photocopy of your passport (every single page, even the blank ones) + translated and stamped by a "traductor publico" (costs about 120 pesos) and "legalised" in the Colegio de traductores (costs about 40).

Birth Certificate with an apostille (translated and legalised as above - the apostille must also be translated)

Police check in your country of birth, apostilled (translated and legalised as above) - if you revisit the country while waiting or after it has already been issued, it is automatically invalidated (I'm having to get mine done again cause they missed this when I originally applied :S)

Police check here (at the Ministerio de Justicia - it costs about 50 pesos)

A stamped, official copy of your Marriage certificate (NOT the libreta familiar)

A photocopy of your partner's DNI (every single page)

A certificado de domicilio (You get this from the police station nearest to your house)

600 peso visa fee

I think that's it. When you have all the papers together, you then need to get an appointment at immigrations - You can book one on their webpage, you normally have to wait a month or so.

This gets you permanent residency - I was told it doesn't have to be renewed
Hope this helps!

I fotgot to say that you will also need the original copy of your partners DNI when you go for your appointment...but they will give it back to you and just keep the photocopy.
They will also keep the original copies of your birth certificate, marriage certificate (which is only a print of the entry in a book anyway...you can get another print no problem), your certificado de residencia and both your police checks...

Lol,

And here I thought only American guys came to marry Argentinian girls. Seems American girls are coming here for the same reason.

Wow. An eye opener.

Back