Residency By Marriage Risks?

khairyexpat

Registered
HI:
I am a retired pensioned perma-tourist. 8.5 years in BsAs. Came accross baexpat by accident just few days ago. Sorry I missed all these years without baexpats. I want to "regularize" my status (I am not worried if a DNI takes 100 years to process, as long as I get ANY residency status for now ASAP I am happy). I tried on my own the RESIDENCY route with and without lawyers on & off for years. Never got anywhere. My efforts were in the dark before baexpats rich info. I just also learned from baexpats that there is a CITIZENSHIP route. Never new that before. But without legal background I am intimidated when I read about Supreme Courts and years of Litigation. Just disheartning. Let me be direct and straight forward. Seems to me residency by marriage is the trump card. The SIMPLIST FASTEST MOST IMMEDIATE MOST PERMANENT way to go (almost no paper work to speak of (non of Legalization/Apostillation fromToronto)). So why not (for a fee. Better than paying fluid lawyers). The big question is: what are the risks especially when PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENTS are not permitted in Argentine courts? Sure there must be some, cause it is too good to be true.

Can my wife cause me trouble not making divorce/annule peaceful (just her fees ... nothing else)? I do not own property neither in Argentina nor in Canada. I do not work. My only source of income is my pension. She lives in her appartment I live in mine, seperate.
How long should I have to stay married before divorce/annule?
Can I/her/we divorce/annule the marriage and still keep my residency?
Can Argentina get suspecious and cancel my residency?
what else ?????

In your case, I think citizenship might be the best bet.

The residency application process isn't exactly paperwork free... and marrying for papers could be risky. By law I believe couples are supposed to share the same domicile. Anything you buy during the marriage will be split 50/50 and will be in her name (cars, house, etc) and divorce isn't a quick/easy process. You have to be married 2 years before you can legally divorce.

Since you've been living here several years and have the intention to stay, you should seek citizenship.

Since you have a pension I think that's the best way. It might take longer but is better than possibly losing half your belongings if you get divorced! Plus a divorce in the long run would be a much bigger headache than getting your residency the pension route! :)

1. By law I believe couples are supposed to share the same domicile.
2. Anything you buy during the marriage will be split 50/50 and will be in her name (cars, house, etc)
3. and divorce isn't a quick/easy process. You have to be married 2 years before you can legally divorce.

Thanks for pointing out 3 risks (pitfalls of this route):
1. Isn`t it in my favor to be living seperate for divorce/annule purposes? Or do you mean that Argentina will check-out that we are sharing the same domicile before granting residence?
2. I will not buy any property. (already have my car).
3. That is a lot of time. She could change her mind and create trouble (I don`t what can she do). But it is a lot of time.
4. What else?

1. a divorce in the long run would be a much bigger headache than getting your residency the pension route! :)

Thanks for pointing out this 1 risk (pitfall of this route):
1. Could she change her mind and create trouble for divorce? How? What about Annulment? Have to wait 2 years also?

Back