Restaurant Prices

toongeorges

Registered
I have heard people complaining on this forum that because of inflation, Argentina has become expensive. I am now in Uruguay for 2 weeks and restaurant prices appear to be double the prices in Argentina when comparing against the official rate. I just ate a steak (I get a bigger portion in Buenos Aires) and spinach and a glass of wine for 42,50 dollars (without tip)! That is even more expensive than what I would pay at home (Belgium). I know I am in Punta del Este for the moment, but prices in Montevideo are not that much lower. Tomorrow I will stick to Burger King which at 10+ dollar per menu is more expensive than in Buenos Aires as well. So next time you pay a visit to a restaurant, maybe you should feel well that it is not that expensive after all.

Rich One

Registered
Great XP in Punta, dinner for more than $8000 pesos Uru per person seems expensive. However if you dine at Tomo I or an exclusive resto in BA $270 pesos seems realistic (US42,50 x 6.3) . There is no official rate only the Blue market.

arlean

Registered
I haven't spent any serious time in Uruguay for quite a long time now and things may have changed but I consider cost of living way higher in Uruguay. Restaurants ARE more expensive (though my eating out here is pretty conservative but I know restaurat meals are higher there). Also utilities are much higher. This is why many in Uruguay brave the winters without heat. No one likes to get a $400 USD equivalent electric bill and it can happen. Food at the ferias is more reasonable though. So are electronics, appliances and things like that.

trennod

Registered
Interesting, but a discussion on prices isnt all that relevant without looking at local wages. Plus, prices @ Punta del Este are a totally different kettle of fish, Montevideo would be the more relevant comparison!

mrporoto

Registered
Was in some burger bar in Tres Cruces,recently,and paid $85uyu,about $20arp,for a crapy basic burger and coke.
Not a great comparison and the prices at the lower end are more expensive but not a lot.Will check them out as I
am on a day trip tomorrow.

Shoeb

Registered
I want to know what is the price of a nice meal in BA per person without wine.

Davidglen77

Registered
A good meal per person in Buenos Aires, is a minimum of $45 for lunch and a minimum of $70 for dinner. I am talking a mid range restaurant with a main dish and 1 non-alcoholic beverage. There are slightly less expensive if you look for lunch specials in the center of BsAs and also for dinner if you go for pizza and empanadas in a restaurant.

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
500 pesos for dinner for 4 people, we shared 1 bottle of wine, ordered 2 starters between 4 and 2 desserts between 4. This was in a mid range place in San Isidro, a pretty upmarket suburb.