Retired USA citizens applying for residency in Argentina

jantango

Registered
I would like to hear experiences of retired USA citizens who have been successful in obtaining residency in Argentina. I'll share mine for reference.

The document requirements were different five years ago. I came close to approval by the Argentine Consulate in Chicago in October 2006. I obtained all the documents required except one regarding my investment income. I decided that I would try again once I retired in 2010. In the meantime, I go regularly to Colonia to renew my visa; migraciones will no longer extend it.

I have lived in Argentina for almost 13 years and own an apartment. My life is here, and I don't plan to return to the USA. My reason for requesting residency isn't sufficient for immigration.

I made my second attempt this week with immigration. All my documents were rejected, so I have to start over. The Illinois State Police report isn't sufficient now; only the FBI background check will do. Letters from the Social Security Administration with apostille, translated and legalized here, were not sufficient to confirm why I receive retirement, how long it will continue, and that it's a monthly income I can prove. By the time I get the new paperwork prepared, my background check in Argentina will have expired (good for 3 months).

It appears that the only way I can obtain the FBI report is by going to the USA for fingerprinting. Perhaps the US Consulate in BsAs can assist in this regard. I'm waiting for an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit to obtain the required document for social security benefits which must be dated the current year. Migraciones will probably require the same letter each year of temporary residency.

The Argentine criminal check is very easy quick. But if you pay a bit more you can have it the next day. So do that last once you have the FBI check.

I've never had to do the FBI report, but from what I've read on here you can get the local police (or certain offices) to do the finger prints for you. Then send it off.

Also from what I've read on here you need to show you are actually bringing the money into the country. So ATM receipts or AR bank statements are requested.

SteveinBA (oops what's the formating for strike out?)

steveinbsas is the resident expert. Hopefully he will chime in later.

And of course, Bajo_Cero will tell you to go apply for Argentine citizenship. :D

Good luck!

jantango said:
I made my second attempt this week with immigration. All my documents were rejected, so I have to start over. The Illinois State Police report isn't sufficient now; only the FBI background check will do. Letters from the Social Security Administration with apostille, translated and legalized here, were not sufficient to confirm why I receive retirement, how long it will continue, and that it's a monthly income I can prove. By the time I get the new paperwork prepared, my background check in Argentina will have expired (good for 3 months).

It appears that the only way I can obtain the FBI report is by going to the USA for fingerprinting. Perhaps the US Consulate in BsAs can assist in this regard. I'm waiting for an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit to obtain the required document for social security benefits which must be dated the current year. Migraciones will probably require the same letter each year of temporary residency.

If you go ahead with the tramite to obtain residency as a pensionado you may be able to get the fingerprint form at the embassy/consulate as well. Ask for several and have the local police make several sets. They are used to making multiple sets. I lerned this while applying for citizenshiop. Send all of them when you request your FBI report and remember to request the Apostille.

You must have the letter that confirms your social security certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Arenales 819. If it is in English it will need to be translated.

mini said:
And of course, Bajo_Cero will tell you to go apply for Argentine citizenship. :D

Steveinbsas will tell you the same.

It's so much easier...and you only have to do it once.

steveinbsas said:
Steveinbsas will tell you the same.

It's so much easier.

when did you change your user name. :p

PS, do you want the remote for your TV? Let me know and I'll mail it to your as we are packing up & it's going to end up in a box in my attic! I seem incapable of throwing things away!
LOL.

mini said:

Good luck!

In fact, you did :cool:.

Jantango, another option is to apply for citizenship. You only need your passport, an address certificate and the bank statement that shows your pension. 7 months later you need the FBI criminal check. Regars

Bajo_cero2 said:
7 months later you need the FBI criminal check.

I'm curious about this. I stopped at the juzgada federal in Bhaia Blanca yesterday to ask about my tramite. The secretary said all I had to do was wait (I started the process at the end of February) until they called me to make a publication in the newspaper.

She asked if the federal police had called me to get my fingerprints. They did...at least five months ago.

They made four sets of my fingerprints.

No one has said anything about an FBI report.

Do you know if it is required by all courts?

Jantango,

You simply go to the Federal Benefits Window at the Embassy with your valid U.S.passport. They will print out a letter confirming your Social Security benefits' monthly amount and lifetime duration. The letter will be written in Spanish and signed by a Consular agent. This letter must then be taken to the Ministry of International and Foreign Relations (Esmerelda 1212 but the entrance is around the corner on Arenales #819). There is a special unit there who will certify the signature from the embassy. This now certified document is enough to prove your income. They are also now requiring that you have proof of a bank account in Argentina to which the funds could be transferred ---even though the transfer is not currently required because it is too difficult. You should have some ATM receipts as well (three or four showing withdrawals of cash).
There is a police station near the U.S. Embassy where one of the friendly officers will be happy to take your fingerprints for the FBI check which should be sent to the FBI by FEDEX, or DHL etc (I had mine sent from the FBI to a relative in the U.S. as I don't know if they will mail to Argentina).
As other have said: get the local background check last and CERTIFICADO de DOMICILIO (which you request at your designated comiseria and they deliver the next day to your home) which is also required to be current.

Also be sure that you have copied the page on your passport (it's best to have the whole passport copied --- all pages) with the most recent entry stamp or they won't even talk to you.

EVERY item must have at least ONE photocopy so don't forget that either!

And ---- YES ---- you will have to do the same process each year for renewal.

GOOD LUCK!

steveinbsas said:
No one has said anything about an FBI report.

Do you know if it is required by all courts?

Mainly at Capital Federal. However, the Prosecutor might ask for it, they know but they don t tell you and your procedure gets delay some months. Regards

surfing said:
Jantango,

You simply go to the Federal Benefits Window at the Embassy with your valid U.S.passport. They will print out a letter confirming your Social Security benefits' monthly amount and lifetime duration. The letter will be written in Spanish and signed by a Consular agent. This letter must then be taken to the Ministry of International and Foreign Relations (Esmerelda 1212 but the entrance is around the corner on Arenales #819). There is a special unit there who will certify the signature from the embassy. This now certified document is enough to prove your income. They are also now requiring that you have proof of a bank account in Argentina to which the funds could be transferred ---even though the transfer is not currently required because it is too difficult. You should have some ATM receipts as well (three or four showing withdrawals of cash).
There is a police station near the U.S. Embassy where one of the friendly officers will be happy to take your fingerprints for the FBI check which should be sent to the FBI by FEDEX, or DHL etc (I had mine sent from the FBI to a relative in the U.S. as I don't know if they will mail to Argentina).
As other have said: get the local background check last and CERTIFICADO de DOMICILIO (which you request at your designated comiseria and they deliver the next day to your home) which is also required to be current.

Also be sure that you have copied the page on your passport (it's best to have the whole passport copied --- all pages) with the most recent entry stamp or they won't even talk to you.

EVERY item must have at least ONE photocopy so don't forget that either!

And ---- YES ---- you will have to do the same process each year for renewal.

GOOD LUCK!

Which of these agencies are your refering to when you say the most recent entry stamp is required or they won't even talk to you: the US Embassy, Ministry of International and Foreign Relations, the Federal Police, the office that issues the penales antecedentes, or Migraciones?

I'll add it my "list" of reasons to keep getting new tourist visas.

I'm on the ''90 day plan''. I never go to Uruguay, but after reading this nonsense and hearing horror stories, a cruise to Colonia 4 times a year would be a pleasure.

Back