Retiring in BA

RaquelLedesma

Registered
Hi everyone,
I'm a Uruguayan who has lived in the USA for 50 years and I am now considering retiring in BA.
I have a couple of distant relatives, but will essentially be living alone.

Can you guys give me some practical advice, please
How much is a studio apt. in a fairly safe area of BA? and are they hard to find?
What is best way to find an apt? Facebook Marketplace? Real Estate agency? I have no clue
Are pickpockets still an issue?
Are there expats meets-ups in person in BA?
Lastly, are there volunteer options? I would like to do something worthwhile with my remaining years
like volunteering at an orphanage or work with street children
I greatly appreciate any input you may have
Saludos
Raquel

Hi everyone,
I'm a Uruguayan who has lived in the USA for 50 years and I am now considering retiring in BA.

How much is a studio apt. in a fairly safe area of BA? and are they hard to find?
What is best way to find an apt? Facebook Marketplace? Real Estate agency? I have no clue
Lastly, are there volunteer options? I would like to do something worthwhile with my remaining years
Saludos
Raquel
Here are some fast answers.

1) How much is a studio apt. in a fairly safe area of BA? and are they hard to find?
Very hard to find today today for 3 year contract . . Price idea US$400..

2) What is best way to find an apt? Facebook Marketplace? Real Estate agency? I have no clue
Check with Airbnb, solo Duenos, Argenprop internet pages

3) Are pickpockets still an issue?
Not an issue..? but be careful.

4) Are there expats meetups in person in BA?
Every week a coffee chat announced on this Forum

5) Lastly, are there volunteer options? I would like to do something worthwhile with my remaining years

...for shorter term rental (I'm only in BA for a month or two at a time) I've been using:
https://www.4rentargentina.com/buenos-aires-apartments.html
I don't know if they have a sister company that deals in longer term leases; never-the-less, their site will give you a good overview of what is available in what neighborhoods.

About volunteering,
I am also looking... (Unfortunately, what I find most are programs for students ...with housing and scholastic credits -or- volunteer program that have a fee to participate in.) If you find a good resource... pleases let me know

Hi everyone,

Saludos
Raquel

Techo.org

It's a good idea to first rent short-term in the area you are thinking to live longer-term. Even if you're only renting, just rent a few nights or a week in different areas so you can see what you like the most. Also, beware in some neighborhoods, there are loud discos at night so you can see that once you rent short-term in that area.

Stay away from Facebook Marketplace to avoid scams. Try to use AIRBNB or real estate agencies to rent.

Back