Retiring In Buenos Aires

erictravels

Registered
Hello all, I'm soon to retire and I have a one time entitlement to move myself and all of my possessions to a home of selection. I am considering Buenos Aires and have the following questions:

- How does Argentina's customs authorities treat and tax the movement of personal property into the country? Should I expect to be taxed for my stuff and if so, is there an index that can help me determine a monetary value I would expect to pay out (by weight, quantity or item types, etc?)

- As a non resident, must I establish residency before buying or renting a place long term?

- Are there other things I should be considering, aside from taking a side trip to Uruguay (or somewhere else) every 88 days?

- Over the years, my company has been moving me all over the world and I have storage containers with things I will no longer need, but--for silly and bureaucratic reasons--might follow me to Argentina anyway. Are there ways to easily sell, donate to charities and store things that I need to get rid of?

- From the seasoned and recent expats, what blindsided you and what is the most frustrating part of moving out to Argentina?

Tons of questions. Look forward to reading your answers and thank you for taking the time to help a stranger.

Regards,
Eric

I suggest coming here for a few weeks to check it out.
1) if you have a pension, you can get a pensionists residency (see other threads) so no need for trip to Uruguay.
2) very complicated to import stuff and expensive, I think there is an exception if you are relocating, BUT if it is stuff you don´t care about too much or will just donate it, DONT DO IT. only import stuff you need, and the best is to bring it on the plane. Import tax is 50% of the price, if you are charged it.
3) People who don´t speak Spanish or don´t make an effort to learn often have a hard time getting things done and fitting in. This seems obvious, but a lot of people assume everyone will speak English. Not the case.
4) Hardest part is getting used to how frustrating getting things done can be (paying bills, paperwork, legal issues, buying things, etc).

Check if the pensionista visa requires that you liquidate your pension thru a bank here liquidated at the official rate. As some banks here offer open an account to receive your SSA check and give you pesos...!!

Once you obtain a resident visa you are allowed to bring in within a period a certain amount of used household effects.

Translate the following

http://www.aduanaarg...na.com/b_lr.php

Régimen de equipajes

ARGENTINOS QUE RETORNAN Y EXTRANJEROS QUE ARRIBAN AL PAIS PARA RESIDIR EN FORMA PERMANENTE
Los ciudadanos argentinos, con una residencia en el exterior no menor de 1 año y siempre que no hayan efectuado viajes ocasionales a la argentina en dicho lapso, que superen los 60 días y los extranjeros que hayan obtenido la autorización extendida por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, para residir en forma permanente en el país, a su ingreso podrán importar libre de derechos, los efectos personales y del hogar, nuevos o usados, de acuerdo con el grupo familiar; para los elementos de profesión u oficio
corresponde el mismo tratamiento, siempre que no constituyeren equipos para la instalación de talleres, laboratorios y otros establecimientos comerciales, industriales o semejantes, en cuyo caso deberá gestionar previamente, la pertinente autorización por ante la dirección nacional de migraciones en los términos de los Dec. 464/77 y Dec. 1434/87 y sus modificatorias.
El equipaje "no acompañado" podrá arribar hasta 6 meses después de la llegada del pasajero.
Quedan excluidos del régimen de equipaje los automotores en general, las motocicletas, motonetas, bicicletas a motor, motores para embarcaciones, motos acuáticas y similares, casas rodantes, aeronaves, embarcaciones de todo tipo, las que podrán introducirse por los regímenes que para cada caso existan.

TRAMITACION OPERATIVA:

1. El interesado deberá interponer la solicitud de retiro de equipaje no acompañado (formulario OM-956/A), en la división Resguardo (Estación Marítima Buenos Aires o dependencia equivalente en otras zonas operativas), acompañando a la misma el respectivo conocimiento de embarque o su equivalente, detalle de los bienes en cuestión, fotocopia completa del pasaporte o documentación análoga y en el caso de tratarse de un ciudadano extranjero, además, constancia emitida por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones que acredite su condición de residente
    permanente en la República Argentina.

2. El agente aduanero interviniente deberá determinar la categoría pertinente a través de la documentación aportada.
  3. En todos los casos se procederá a verificar los bienes de que se trata y se dispondrá su libramiento, de corresponder.

Once you have done your homework and are sure you want to retire here (I, for one, think it would be an excellent place to retire) then you can - as stated above - get a retirees residency. Once you get that, you have 6 months in which to move your stuff. Since your are looking to live here long-term I recommend renting a shipping container and bringing EVERYTHING you can fit into it. I do not think there is a tax on these items but you need a shipping manifest of all of the items. If you don't have enough stuff to fill the container you can rent out space to people on this list who would need stuff from "back home."

There are people on this forum who've done that and can give you the details.

Good luck!

I respectfully think it's a mistake to give advice to a person that considers retiring to a place they have never visited.

The only advice that should be given is to come down for at least a month to visit.

In a majority of cases the person will change their mind - whether it be Argentina, Thailand or Timbuktu.

Hi Eric,

If you translate the info Rich One posted you will see that it applies to citizens and permanent residents. If you are granted a visa pensionada you can bring your personal effects into Argentina under the following conditions:

"Foreigners with Temporary Resident Visa must pay taxes and duties for the importation of personal effects and household goods (50% on the FOB value) or should bring them into the country under temporary admission in accordance with the present guarantee system. The belongings must be guaranteed (bonded) for the duration of the visa and the Bond documents must be renewed each time the visa is renewed.

Goods can be guaranteed by:
  • A local bond insurance company through a "Caution policy" (P?LIZA DE CAUCI?N) ;
  • A company that is registered as an import/export agent in Argentina and has its signature registered with Customs Authorities (this is the more common way used by established companies)
In the case that the client can not comply with these requirements, the move can be imported by paying the taxes and duties as mentioned above.
If at the expiration date of the guarantee the visa has not been renewed, the goods must be re-exported before the expiring of the Guarantee and the Visa. If a permanent residence visa has been obtained, the goods must be nationalized and the guarantee will be cancelled.

NOTE – Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, CNN International LLC . cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate."

Source: http://cnnintl.com/C...0&width=750

There may also be a "processing fee" of $1200 USD.

You indicated that you're well traveled but it isn't clear from your first post if you have ever visited Argentina. I've been a member of this forum for eight years (and watched too many make the "move" to Argentina without having visited (in spite of "fair" warnings, especialy to those who were looking to support themselves by working here). That's why the members who previously posted in this thread advised you visit first.

As a non-resident, you can buy property, but you may have to bring the funds into Argentina at the "official" rate and you want to be sure to be able to prove the source of the funds, especially if and when you sell and don't have residency.

it will be difficult to rent an apartment for more than six months at a time. You can sell your excess to expats on the forum or call the Salvation Army to make a donation, but keep in mind that, unless you eventually get permanent residency the goods you bring in with temporary residency must be re-exported. There are a few self storage type warehouses that offer very secure storage.

Hmmm, interesting. This thread it may serve me good as well when I possibly be expatriating to for my retired life.
I know, that need to be experiencing the "Dolce vita" in person for a given time myself. When getting there, will be callin'
on a few residents there such as the wise "steveinbsas" 'n' the "frenchie" and afew others as well. I will be reading this thread
very enthusiastically to leran the in-and-outs to adjust to the complex AR system for my serving at the latter times..

Start reading posts here about how difficult it is to get cash ie your own funds [such as pensions and SS]. The ATMs will cost you 40% of the value and constant work arounds will make you tired. Once you adjust to the unnecessary difficulties the rules will change. Be aware that whatever you read about importing your goods will very likely not apply and you will have to deal with what ever the rule of the day is or the rule as interpreted by the person you happen to be interfacing with at the moment. The cost of living is high and the infrastructure is pretty poor. Crime rises daily and so does inflation. The food is less than inspiring. But....there is a charm and a beauty to the place that just might hypnotize you into thinking that you have found "The Place" .[for a few years] Then you're off to Panama.

If you can adapt to the insecurity, instability, and constant inflation and spending life waiting in a line, then go for it. There must be other places that are more relaxing to retire in: Panama or Costa Rica (two places far more advanced than Argentina). In Costa Rica you can use US dollars to pay for things and you won't have so many headaches like you might living here.

Back