Return To Ba/still Worthwhile?

Daniel82

Registered
Hello! I've been reading this forum for awhile now and this is my first posting- I'm sure I'll get an array of different answers and opinions, which is exactly what I want. Here's the story-

I lived in BA 8 years ago (i know it's not that long, but the way Argentina functions these are like dog years), had a very good consulting job in which I pretty much earned a foreigner salary (it was in pesos and in cash but still a very nice sum), the thing is at the time I was in a relationship with a local and did not have to suffer any of the (what I have seen and heard to be) "expat issues"--- I.E.: We shared my partner's flat with the rent being "local priced" and paid in pesos, I had a mobile phone with a contract through my partner's plan and didn't have to bother with the constant top-ups (at the time this was HUGE as I used my mobile constantly for work and probably wouldn't have been able to function otherwise), and just had, I will admit it, the easy day-to-day of living in BA like a local, but with foreigner benefits... Best of both world almost too good to be true. After a few years we ended up splitting up and at that moment because so much of my BA experience had to do with being in that relationship and I went through the whole "young and heartbroken" effect, I decided to leave BA.

It's been a few years and since then, I must admit I've had a longing to go back. Professionally, even though my job lacked structure and a solid career path (I've since realized that this has its pros and cons-- I wasn't going to climb the ladder, there was no ladder to climb here, but I was free to make my own rules/hours/etc) I didn't fare too badly, and personally, even though at the time of splitting it seemed like all BA revolved around my ex, I've since realized by having kept in touch with many BA friends that this simply wasn't the case.

Anyway- I'm currently at a turning point in my life where I have the opportunity to move abroad once again. The good news is that I've kept in touch with my former boss and she's psyched about the idea of my possibly returning and says I have the door open. Since she pays in pesos we have talked somewhat about the inflation and I'm pretty confident she will take good care of me in that respect.
My only hesitation is that, having been back in the "normal" routine for years, it will be a hard adjustment to not be able to have an Argie bank account/credit cards to function financially properly, a proper phone service, have to pay exorbitant rental prices (I have looked and the 'ex pat' prices-in dollars-are comparable to some US/Europe major cities!) for a substandard flat, and get hit with massive inflation.

I do, however, love BA, and in the same way that there are some of these hiccups which set me back there are many things that encourage me to go back, I know the 'hiccups' are relatively minor, but they are things that once you start getting a bit older and Peter Pan's "what the heck lets give it a try" adventure spirit starts to go, you get to thinking.

Another concern would be migraciones- According to my boss, she can "put me on the books and help me with documents needed for a visa each pay period" --- I have no idea what this means.... I would also need a reliable health insurance but I hear it's fairly easy for ex pats to get good and reliable health insurance plans?

Im told by Argy friends that the bank issue ("don't trust the banks anyway!") is very minor but the thought of dealing in cash all the time is a turn off, told that the phone issue now with everyone doing what's app and "top up" phones being cheaper because of increased competition that I won't have an issue, the flat issue they see as a caveat and that I will have no choice but to pay these exorbitant prices and they are optimistic that things will improve inflation wise.

Well, there you have it.. I would love to get all of your honest opinions regarding whether it's still worthwhile to move to BA..!

I think that you'd be VERY foolish to return to BA.
"I do, however, love the city." That's not reality. The city has change a lot and not for the better.

I think that you'd be VERY foolish to return to BA.
"I do, however, love the city." That's not reality. The city has change a lot and not for the better.

Could be, but Europe and I guess the US are not what they used to be either. The issue in Europe is that the young generation is the spoiled generation and they think they are entitled to everything and they are full of envy. Populism is on the rise in Europe and it is eroding society. Argentina has a lot of defects, but Argentinians do not have the expectations and frustration of Europeans.

I am tired of society here (in Belgium) and from next year on, I will spend half my time in Buenos Aires and point the big finger home. I am not going to keep working and paying taxes for others who never have enough. I will be going out and enjoy life in Buenos Aires.

Thank you for your responses.

@johndoe may I ask why/how you think things have changed for the worst and that it would be a foolish decision to come back? My quirks are what I had mentioned--- having to through the "red tape" of being an ex pat, but some of my Argy friends (mostly upper middle class professionals) seem to be convinced that Macri will eventually be good for Argentina and fix the "década ganada" ...

Inflation is out of control, regardless what the government says. I buy almost nothing in BA, except food. Prices of everything in supermarkets is constantly rising.Also,many products have been discontinued, because people have eliminated them from their budgets

Anyone who comes to BA and gets paid in pesos is foolish. (That's the nicest word I could think of).Do you really think that this great humanitarian woman really cares about you? I wonder how many native English speaking people, who came to BA to teach English a still here?

I also think that BA is probably one of the most boring cities in the World. I have lived here for many years.Because I don't have a DNI I must le within every 90 day periods. I have visited 71 countries, probably over 50,since I moved here.

I think that the weather is great an there' no temptation to spend money foolishly.

As soon as I sell my apartment, I'm outta here. Either to Lisbon or Tbilisi .. .. .

.. . . . d

It's hard for someone else to tell you what's best. It depends on what you value and personal preferences.

If you loved the city, people, lifestyle, etc. I don't see why you shouldn't come back especially if you'll be getting paid well.

It's definitely a lot more expensive, besides that I don't think anything has changed too drastically.

Back