Returning After A Few Years - Customs

Dipperus

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm visiting BA in a few days after being away for about 3 years. I used to be a resident with a DNI, but now no longer have any ties with Argentina (Canadian citizen residing in the US - although my passport does say 'issued in Buenos Aires'), so coming in as a tourist, and have already paid the reciprocity fee.

Here's the thing: I'm a musician, so coming in with a good amount of my CDs, 100+. Mostly to give away as gifts but will also end up selling a few - in no way am I making a substantial amount of $$ from this. I also have my laptot, my trumpet, and a drum cymbal I'm bringing in for a friend.

I'm totally planning on having some green $$ in my back pocket for customs officials - but should I be worried? They might ask if I'm playing/touring, and I do have a few gigs but all with friends and none will be high paying (if paying at all).

Thanks for your input!

Nothing to be worried about . you will be fine.

for CDS ,,say, this is your collection which you will listen to...when here

I used to travel to Argentina with musical instruments in tow regularly. The aduana never blinked an eye.

Baggage: All new or used effects for the traveler’s personal use, consumption or gift compatible with the circumstances of the trip, as long as the Customs agent does not assume that these items are imported or exported for commercial or industrial use due to their amount, quality, variety and value

Prohibited articles:
Goods others than baggage.
Any kind of goods for commercial or industrial use.
Firearms, unless authorized by the Registro Nacional de Armas (RENAR) (National Firearms Bureau).
Explosives, inflammable articles and narcotics.
Prohibited articles for non-economic reasons ( public health, safety, etc.).

Incoming Baggage
Declaration:
Without exceptions, all visitors arriving to the Customs territory shall complete a Customs Declaration form, including Form OM-2087/G3 (if it is by air or sea) or Form OM-2087/G4 (if it is by waterway or land).

Accompanied articles:
Articles considered as baggage and that travel in the same transportation means as the visitor.

Unaccompanied articles:
Articles that are part of the visitor's baggage and that arrive to the country through a different transportation means than that of the visitor. To be considered unaccompanied baggage it should enter into the country within six months of the visitor's date of arrival or three months before said date.

Regular Provisions:
Articles that CANNOT enter the country
Any kind of goods for commercial or industrial use.
Firearms, unless authorized by the National Firearms Registry (RENAR).
Explosives, inflammable articles and narcotics.
Prohibited articles for non-economic reasons (public health, safety, etc.).
Goods others than baggage.

IMPORTANT: Remember that, if inconveniencies arise you are accountable for the content of the baggage you carry. The Customs agents that control the baggage can decide to control passengers and/or baggage as they deem convenient

Exemptions and Franchises
Accompanied baggage belonging to the visitors is free of duty as long as they are clothing, personal effects, books, brochures and newspapers.

Types of franchises
There are two (2) types of franchises:

1.- Franchise for the entry of other items within the category of baggage(other than clothing, personal effects, books, brochures and newspapers); and
2- Franchise for the purchases made in duty free shops.

Description:

1.- Franchise for the entry of other items within the category of baggage (other than clothing, personal effects, books, brochures and newspapers); it varies according to the arrival means of the visitor.

If the visitor enters by air or sea: The exemptions for other items, considered as baggage up to the limit of US$300 (*) or its equivalent in other currency.

If the visitor enters by land (including the entrance by river or bridges): The exemptions for other items, considered as baggage, up to the limit of US$150 (*) or its equivalent in other currency.

(*) if a minor under 16 years old, this franchise shall be reduced by 50%.

When the aforementioned amounts were exceeded, as long as the items belong to the category of baggage, the difference shall be subject to the payment of 50% tax over such excess.

The above is from CUSTOMS - important information for tourists on the AFIP site.

Here's the thing: I'm a musician, so coming in with a good amount of my CDs, 100+. Mostly to give away as gifts but will also end up selling a few - in no way am I making a substantial amount of $$ from this. I also have my laptot, my trumpet, and a drum cymbal I'm bringing in for a friend.

They might ask if I'm playing/touring, and I do have a few gigs but all with friends and none will be high paying (if paying at all).

Customs might have a "problem" with 100 CD's if they are all the same or there are only a few different ones (with music performed by you) and are packaged individually in plastic boxes. You could be expected to pay a customs fee of 50% of the total retail value (as determined by customs).

How much $$ (profit) you might make by selling them is irrelevant in a country where the IVA is 21% of the gross sales price. I brought in well over 100 used CD's in several fabric CD (zippered) cases and no one at customs even looked at them.

You can bring the "artwork" with you and buy "crystal" boxes here if that's the way you want to "package" them. You can also "distribute" them in paper CD envelopes (which could feature custom printing). I bought a "Gotan Project" CD CF that was packaged in a "tri-fold" made of heavy stock (carton) and I found it aesthetically superior to a plastic box.

The cymbal will show up if your bags are scanned. If you don't have a receipt for it, I suggest you find a similar (used) one for sale on ebay and print a copy of the listing, especially if the asking (even better if completed) sales price is less than $300 USD.

Regarding doing any "gigs" while you are in Argentina: Even if you're a professional musician you would need to practice daily and "jamming with friends" (with or without an audience) would not be an issue, especially if you are just returning as a tourist for 90 days.

You will definitely have a problem with your "laptot" unless you have proof that you are his/her parent as well as written permission from the tot's other parent to travel with him/her.
emo32.gif

Back