Returning to BA after 10 years, a DNI CUIT question

artisans

Registered
Lived in Buenos Aires 5 years until 2009. Received a DNI, CUIT, enrolled as Monotrubista. Now looking to return and apply for residency
again. I checked my CUIT number with the government online, entering the CUIT number. It is still recognized in their database. Does anyone
know if I'll be able to use or be helped by the prior temporary residency, DNI, CUIT? How to use it when applying again now?

Lived in Buenos Aires 5 years until 2009. Received a DNI, CUIT, enrolled as Monotrubista. Now looking to return and apply for residency
again. I checked my CUIT number with the government online, entering the CUIT number. It is still recognized in their database. Does anyone
know if I'll be able to use or be helped by the prior temporary residency, DNI, CUIT? How to use it when applying again now?

You may end up with the same DNI/CUIT as you had in the past, but your previous residency will otherwise be irrelevant.

In addition to the new criminal background report covering the last ten years, any other foreign docs required for your new residency will have to be recent, have the Apostille, and be translated and "legalized" in Argentina.

PS: If you (or anyone reading this) are(is) considering the visa rentista, you should expect an increase in the monthly income requirement to happen in the near future. Based on the last increase and the significant change in the exchange rate since then, it is likely to triple from $30,000 to $90,000 pesos per month...and the new level will apply to renewals as well.

For those with foreign income in dollars, $2000 per month will probably suffice.

You may end up with the same DNI/CUIT as you had in the past, but your previous residency will otherwise be irrelevant.

In addition to the new criminal background report covering the last ten years, any other foreign docs required for your new residency will have to be recent, have the Apostille, and be translated and "legalized" in Argentina.

Thank you for clarifying. Encouraging the CUIT number may remain the same. Shipping personal effects to BA which requires a CUIT number. Will need to re-apply and update before they arrive at BA. Clear about the new criminal background report. Care to list the 'other foreign docs' required to be recent?

PS: If you (or anyone reading this) are(is) considering the visa rentista, you should expect an increase in the monthly income requirement to happen in the near future. Based on the last increase and the significant change in the exchange rate since then, it is likely to triple from $30,000 to $90,000 pesos per month...and the new level will apply to renewals as well.

For those with foreign income in dollars, $2000 per month will probably suffice.

If considering the visa pension, what do you anticipate the monthly level to rise to? If one successfully apples, rentista or pension, before the increase what would the income level be and when would any new level take effect, immediately or at the next renewal?

If considering the visa pension, what do you anticipate the monthly level to rise to? If one successfully apples, rentista or pension, before the increase what would the income level be and when would any new level take effect, immediately or at the next renewal?

The amount for the visa pensionado is/has not been specified but it can be less than the amount specified for the visa rentista.

The new monthly income requirement will come without advance notice and it will take effect immediately.

Once you have the precaria, however, you should be OK at the soon to be previous level for the first year.

Last edited:
You habe to start over regarding the DNI.
You can apply right away for citizenship.
The CUIT works for life time.

If considering the visa pension, what do you anticipate the monthly level to rise to?

As I previously indicated:

When it does increase, the new monthly income requirement for the visa rentista could be greater than $90,000 per month. It all depends on what happens to the exchange rate prior to the increase, but I "doubt" it will exceed $2000 USD per month.

As $1500 USD per month is "about the average" monthly Social Security income and expats are apparently still able to get the visa pensionado based on Social Security income, it might be safe to say that amount appears to be "acceptable" to migraciones, but I don't have any empirical data which would confirm that.

You habe to start over regarding the DNI.
You can apply right away for citizenship.
The CUIT works for life time.

Just to be clear (in English), having to "start over regarding the DNI" means applying for new temporary residency (as opposed to "applying for a new DNI" (which is issued after temporary residency is granted)?

As the original CUIT includes the numbers of the original DNI, will the "new" DNI be a different number than the old one?

I'm asking these questions because artisans indicated that he knew that he needed the CUIT to ship his personal effects to Argentina.

Even if the CUIT he already has "works for a lifetime" and he can use it to ship his stuff to Argentina, won't he need to present a vaild DNI to the ADUANA before they will release his belongings without charging import fees? Is it possible to get them released with a precaria...or will they release the shipment with only the CUIT he already has?

I never shipped anything to Argentina, but I've read posts from those whose personal effects arrived before they received their DNI were charge daily storage fees and, in at least one case, those fees quickly exceeded the value of their stuff. I don't think the individual I'm thinking of ever mentioned the CUIT. I do remember that he just shipped his stuff and did not use a customs broker.

PS: If I was in artisans' shoes, I'd want to be sure of the answer before I made the shipment and it would not surprise me if someone who only knew that "the CUIT works for a liftime" assumed that's all they needed after reading that statement in a post that may not have included enough detailed information to draw the appropriate conclusion.

PS2: Is there any way applying for citizenship "right away" would expedite getting artisans' personal effects into Argentina or getting them out of customs?

Last edited:
Back