Revolut card

rickulivi

Registered
I met with an English travel journalist yesterday. She is on a trip to Antarctica. We went to the Recoleta cemetery and they charged her an entrance fee, even though she showed her press card. Anyhow, she paid with a Revolut card, which had pesos in it. I had never heard of such a card, so I have been Googling about it today. It's an interesting way to carry cash on a card, with the ability to use multiple currencies. Do any of you have any experience with this card? Can you share your experience with it?

I met with an English travel journalist yesterday. She is on a trip to Antarctica. We went to the Recoleta cemetery and they charged her an entrance fee, even though she showed her press card. Anyhow, she paid with a Revolut card, which had pesos in it. I had never heard of such a card, so I have been Googling about it today. It's an interesting way to carry cash on a card, with the ability to use multiple currencies. Do any of you have any experience with this card? Can you share your experience with it?
I have it. Excellent. Used to use it in Argentina back in the Macri days for most daily spending. It is excellent for travel anywhere in the world as zero fees and uses interbank FX rate. It doesn’t have pesos, but you select if you want it to be GBP, EUR, USD etc and can set up vaults in most major currencies.
To open it you need an EU or UK ID, tax number and address.

I have it. Excellent. Used to use it in Argentina back in the Macri days for most daily spending. It is excellent for travel anywhere in the world as zero fees and uses interbank FX rate. It doesn’t have pesos, but you select if you want it to be GBP, EUR, USD etc and can set up vaults in most major currencies.
To open it you need an EU or UK ID, tax number and address.
Thank you for your reply. What I don't understand is the following: what is the difference between using Revolut and a credit card? In the journalist's case, she paid $1,400 pesos using 7.80 pounds via Revolut, which is nearly twice as high as she would have gotten using the blue rate.

Thank you for your reply. What I don't understand is the following: what is the difference between using Revolut and a credit card? In the journalist's case, she paid $1,400 pesos using 7.80 pounds via Revolut, which is nearly twice as high as she would have gotten using the blue rate.
It’s a debit card, you can choose Visa and/ or MasterCard. You get physical card and also a mobile/ digital card for where Apple Pay is accepted.

She got the Interbank (official) rate as she would in any other country in the world - except Ukraine and Thailand which Revolut carve out as exceptions and charge a “rare currency” commission on such transactions.

Thank you again for adding to my knowledge. Fintech is going thru a revolution in new products, and it's just difficult to stay current and understand what's going on.

I very much like Revolut, not for pesos because of the exchange rate, but for the single-use virtual card generator for online purchases on sites you don't want the card number potentially saved.

I very much like Revolut, not for pesos because of the exchange rate, but for the single-use virtual card generator for online purchases on sites you don't want the card number potentially saved.
Thank you. It seems this card is liked by many, so I better join the bandwagon too. I read the Argentina has a similar card called Uala and the Brazilians have an even more popular one called Nubank, I think!

This is similar to the transferwise card or any of the coinbase cards where you can use it for multiple accounts with different currencies.

The other thing worth noting is that Revolut is an actual bank so you’re covered by deposit guarantees etc. You can also use the platform to buy and sell securities, bitcoin etc and precious metals. If you travel a lot it is worth getting their premium product as you get like 1% cash back on all purchases.
Plus it is easy to make bank-bank transfers and it is inside the SEPA zone.

Back