Richard Stallman, founder of the FSF, robbed in Argentina

Why is this news?
It could have happened anywhere.
WTF!

The same thing happened a couple of months ago. My husband who is a professor at UBA witnessed it. There was a big conference, and after his talk one of the main speakers (famous guy) stood around chatting with people, with his backpack at his feet. In his backpack: his laptop, his keys, his money, and his agenda (containing his address). When he bent down to pick up his backpack so he could leave he realized it wasn't his backpack any more. Some one had switched it for a similar one. In it was a coffee table book toughly the same weight and shape as his laptop. When he got home the thief had already been to his house and robbed it...... People at UBA said it happens ALL THE TIME, especially during big conferences.

mariposa said:
The same thing happened a couple of months ago....... People at UBA said it happens ALL THE TIME, especially during big conferences.

Well, at least you can say UBA is a great place to get an education...even if your area of study is not criminal behavior. ;)

This doesn't surprise me at all. The UBA is a disaster. It's a rat's nest of communists, piqueteros, and 30 year-old permastudents. I pity the families who are forced to send their kids to study there. Anyone who can afford it goes somewhere else.

el_expatriado said:
I pity the families who are forced to send their kids to study there. Anyone who can afford it goes somewhere else.

Why the pity? It's just the free market at work, right? :rolleyes:

mariposa said:
excuse me???

Go see the movie "El Estudiante" if you want to know how the UBA is. Or better yet, go take a class there. I am not joking about what I said.

While I feel sorry for Stallman, let me remind everybody never to carry passport, money, keys or anything valuable in your backpack.

Back