Rip: Ultimate Street Guy

dennisr

Registered
RIP: ultimate street guy.
Folk hero of mine in Buenos Aires.
Part of me envied the guy, not a care in the world. He even had cable. He was a character.
http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Murio-Pechito-linyera-querido-Palermo_0_988701526.html

Thats so sad. I hope his dogs find great homes. I used to give them some of my food when I lived near there

Thats so sad. I hope his dogs find great homes. I used to give them some of my food when I lived near there
Heard that he was ill and when they hauled him to the hospital, the ambulance crew loaded the dogs to go with him. He was not going anywhere without his beloved dogs. That was the way it was told to me.

I live a few doors down from where he lived. Very sad day indeed, he was a lovely guy.

My question is, given the fact he was such a great guy and so many people cared about him, why was he left to live in the street for 12 darn years? Society needs to do some deep analysis as to why a person can be left to live on the street - no matter how charming they may be, with 2 helpless animals, this is a sad commentary on the state of the world in 2013.

davidglen77

Would you be so gracious to believe it was his personal choice. Many, many people offered shelter for him and his critters. Local cafes and business men took care of him in an anonymous way. Before flying off the handle and condemning society for what you think they did not do, think what they did do. He was at peace my friend, something we all admire and yearn for.

Indeed, I had read a discussion about him in a local dog rescue forum to find a place for him & his dogs but it seems the guy didn't really want to change his habits. At some point you can't save someone against him/herself + hard to judge him.
I hope the dogs are fine, quite sure about that though.

I took care of someone in a similar situation during a year:

A lady living at the entrance of my gated community, a bit "funny in her head", living in a state of extreme poverty, with about 6/10 dogs (many of them dying on the road nearby... since she doesn't want to neuter them).
Many supposed "good middle class folks" would like her to get out of there, some others give her a hand, but she's difficult to deal with.

I talked to her quite many times and discovered she speaks perfectly French & English (?!). She seems to have been living in the Milano fashion world for some time in Italy. She likely comes from a "good" family but something went wrong at some point.

About 18 months ago (she lives with no electricity, no water...), she left her house, likely with a lit candle inside & a bunch of dog puppies... The house burned down. The few she had disappeared.

After that I gave her a line of credit of 250$ monthly at the nearby grocery store so that she can eat. It went on for a year. I paid also for the materials for a fence since the neighbors are angry that the dogs always walk around freely.
Then I tried to convince her that she needs to neuter her dogs. NO, she wants it that way.

Now she lives in a tiny room of the house which has not been affected to much by the fire, the rest of the house is completely down, all her stuff has rotten by now. She hangs around in a state of dirtyness difficult to describe. She communicates less & less with people.

It's quite sad. I can take pics if she accepts & if the forum wishes to see.
A team of 6/10 expats who know how to fix a house, with plenty of will, could easily fix her house a lot in one weekend (renting those large industrial bins to evacuate all the mess, etc.). It would remain to buy the materials for the roof & put it back (funding with crowdfunding?).

Anyway, if her situation doesn't change, she will lose her health little by little & won't last much that way.

Back