Ripped off by Landlady! Stole reservation money

annaholness

Registered
Recently, I put down $400 as a reservation on a studio apartment which I agreed to rent for $700 per month (all included). I signed a document which said that I could get this back if things changed within 5 days. After this document was signed she rang and said that she wanted all the money in advance, which was not what we agreed. I said no and she demanded then that we pay $700 a month PLUS internet and cable...also not what we had agreed. I decided that I would not rent the apartment and called her (within the 5 days) to arrange to collect my deposit. However, she said that she will not give back the money.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

I guess all you can do is advertise her name, apartment number on popular Argentina forums so that no one rents from her.

Sounds like a big scam........who knows if she even has an apartment....I doubt you really have any recourse....I would cut my losses and call it a lesson learned.

You should let her know you will spread the word, report her to AFIP and Secretaria de Turismo. Just so she realizes how much business she will lose, also report the property to soloduenos and let them know the scam they are advertising.

Play rough. How good is your Spanish?

Call her back, tell her that if the monies aren't refunded, you will be reporting her to AFIP, soloduenos, the police and suing her.

Get a friend who is a lawyer to write a letter, even if it is in English and from the US. Can't hurt. Do as above and threaten to report to AFIP, etc.

Go to the Defensa Consumidor. It will take a while for the recourse but at least she will get hit for tax evasion (maybe?).

If you have a lot of time, just find where she lives and slash her tires. Send her a nice note mentioning her beautiful car :)

sam3g said:
Go to the Defensa Consumidor. It will take a while for the recourse but at least she will get hit for tax evasion (maybe?).

If you have a lot of time, just find where she lives and slash her tires. Send her a nice note mentioning her beautiful car :)
This issue is not to be reported to Defensa del Consumidor. They do not deal with this.

Back