Road Cycling in Córdoba

canadien

Registered
Hello,

I am thinking of bringing my road bike from Canada to Córdoba so that I can ride out of the city and get some exercise several times a week.

But I am wondering if, by going out training alone on an expensive carbon fiber road bike in Argentina, I might might be setting myself as a target for robbery.

Apart from the theft issue, I am also pondering another security issue : that of the style driving here.

Do you think that my worries are founded or unfounded?

Have any other expat cyclists brought their road bike to Argentina? What have your experiences been like? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.

You should take your bike. Biking is huge in Argentina and you should be able to find other riders to bike with.
I rode my bike across Canada last year and don't find the drivers in Argentina any more hostile towards cyclists than Canadians are.
I met these folks in St. John's and they said that they really enjoyed cycling in Cordoba and San Luis:
http://candmwanderings.wordpress.com/travels/south_america/

Thanks Richard!

Great information. And if anyone ever needs great information on bike touring, they should definately click on the link you provided.

We were in Cordoba a few weeks ago and saw lots of bikers in the hill towns around Cordoba. You'll have a great time. Better be in good shape, they are REALLY hills!
Nancy

I'm a cyclist in Cordoba. Here are some links to cycling and bicycle advocacy groups in the area: http://ikers.com.ar/ http://www.biciurbanos.blogspot.com/ and http://masacriticacba.com.ar/

I was huge road biker in the States, mainly a commuter, but found lots of time for epic weekend rides. When I moved to Cordoba, I bought a mint condition, manual shifting, all-Campagnoloparts and tires 1970's road bike (for 1500 pesos) and later, a mountain bike. In the past two years, I have begun to favor the mountain bike. Here's why:

The roads are HORRIBLE.

To get out the Sierras, you must first bike through 20 km of giant pot holes, broken glass, rocks and other crap that will give you flats. Once you get out to the Sierras, the roads improve, but there are NO paved shoulders.

Most of the paved roads in the Sierras are major thoroughfares. You will be sharing the roads with slow-driving lost tourists, giant trucks in transit to La Rioja, and 'local' buses that stop every 100 meters, making passing or getting passed a real hassle.

One time riding alone, I was stopped by a police officer in the Sierras, who told me to pull over and ride on the dirt shoulder (on my road bike) so buses could pass me! Obviously this would be different if you are in a group.

In the States, I loved riding my road bike on quiet backroads in the Appalachian Mountains. In the Sierras, all the quiet backroads are unpaved. This is one reason why mountain biking is so much more popular here - it makes for much better riding.

Here, I have a favorite 60 km and 100 km loop on the road bike, but both of these only have about 20 km of beautiful mountain riding, the rest is heavily trafficked. The further you get from Cordoba though, the less traffic. I think the Sierras would be perfect for bike touring, ie going for 3-4 days or longer on the bike.

Road Bike parts are increasingly not available.

Argentinian bike companies do not manufacture road bike parts, only mountain and playera. Due to import restrictions that I do not fully understand, road bike tubes are becoming increasingly difficult to find, even in Cordoba's largest best bike shops. The only road bike tire available is the racing 23 cc, which I found horrible for dealing with all the potholes. On a recent trip home, I purchased new burly 28 cc tires and brought back 6 sets of new road bike tubes.

You have lots of options for mountain bike parts and tires though, and because they are produced domestically, everything is much cheaper.

Remember to bring all your gear and accessories (helmet, pump, light, repair kit, ect.) with you, because you won't be able to find good quality stuff at good prices here.

In my opinion, San Juan and Mendoza are really the best places for road biking in Argentina. Many more road bikers there than in Cordoba.

I don't think safety is big concern in the Sierras. Just bring a lock in case you plan on stopping and going inside somewhere.

The cars will drive much closer to you than in North America, but in the Sierras, it is not in an aggressive way. You will get used to them honking at you, usually it is to let you know that they are passing you.

That being said, I ride all the time. I love biking here, road or mountain. I still go on long weekend rides, and you will find lots of other road bikers who do. Let me know when you get here and we can go for a ride.

Hi voyagingknoxvillian,

I was going to go this month but have decided to put my move off to the end of the year for a variety of reasons.

I have just read your thorough bike post and appreciate the information.

You have convinced me not to bring my road bike!!!

I am now debating on whether or not to bring my mountain bike.
Whether or not my partner buys a car or not might play a big role in my decision.
Also , the question of airline cost and losing one piece of luggage to my bike might also play in.

Are there alot of off-road mountain bikers in Córdoba province? Are there any single track trails? How about informal clubs or riding groups?

I will certainly get in touch with you when I eventually arrive and if I don't have my bike, hell! We'll bo for a beer instead.

Cheers.

p.s. I often saw road bikers riding in parque Sarmiento. It didn't look like a very stimulating ride....

Back