Road Trip to Bariloche

I'll be interested to hear what differences you notice between BA and the interior you see...

If it's possible by the time you get to Bariloche, I'd recommend the lake trip across the border to Puerto Varas, staying overnight at the hotel in Peulla. The views of the volcanoes, Osorno and Tronador are stunning, the stay in Peulla is very nice, it's an old wooden hotel, and you might hear mountain lions roaring at night. Amazing views of the southern night sky as well.

I did the trip many years ago, in the opposite direction, so I can't help with tour agencies unfortunately.

About internet, if you can get a MiFi unit and a Claro SIM (or just put the SIM in your mobile if you prefer), you could buy one of their big data packages like the 40GB / 60 day data pack, in Bariloche you should get service like this:

Claro Bariloche.jpg

Personal is almost certainly faster, but maybe their data packs aren't big enough for your purposes. So no excuses about Zoom video then :)

My wife and I are planning a road trip to Bariloche in November. Has anyone done the drive from BA? Can it be done in 2 days? Any recommendations on where to spend the night on the way?

I just did the trip this year with a friend and his wife. We did the following route:

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 14.12.49.png

Stoped both ways in Bahia Blanca to sleep, and for Neuquén - Bariloche we took 237, overall conditions were fine, even in the winter,
and had no issues getting gas along the way.

Internet coverage along the way is okay for most of Provincia, and then spotty along the rest of the route, even just outside of Bariloche proper in Dina Huapi I had nothing with Personal. That being said, don't count on hotel WiFi in Bariloche itself. It's possible to get 100mbps now, but most people let alone hotels aren't opting for it. We used our cellphones as modems/routers for our laptops without issue. I was getting up to 15mbps at times, vs 0.6 in the hotel.

Loved the drive, and if I could convince my husband to buy a lot along Embalse Ezequiel Ramos Mexía I would love to build a home there.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! A lot of great ideas here. Another question. My wife needs hiking boots. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy? I’ve tried a couple of the stores I know sell outdoor equipment (Montagne, Salomon, North Face) but they all say they don’t have any stock. I’m assuming there is nothing like REI here?

Try deporcamping
Av. Santa Fe 4830, C1425BHX CABA, Argentina
Not sure they’ll have any stock but could give them a call. They had a decent selection when I was in there a few years ago now.

Back