Robbed

Tommy1978

Registered
so it happened.

cordoba and san martin

he started to talk to me. before I knew it he had snatched my headphones and ipod from my neck. i gave chase, but he disappeared.

I would have killed the [email protected] wise. sure. but wasn't caring.

then I discovered he taken my phone and a good deal of money.

does anyone have a reasonably priced, smartphone, ipod, headphones to sell to me?

thanks as always ba expats.

Sorry to hear, I totally empathize with your feelings. I hope you recover from this quickly. Something similar happened to me only I was lucky this time round. I'm using this opportunity to warn unsuspecting tourists & new residents to this city....my experience happened on Santa fe Near Callao three weeks ago, a couple on a motorbike sneaked up behind me while I was quickly checking my smart phone...next thing I know someone's hand is trying to grab my phone out of my hands..the phone falls to the ground and I instantly pick it up and gave chase in the traffic, they got away. Very very infuriating to say the least. The moto chorros were not what you'd expect in terms of appearance. The guy had a blond wig on and he carried a female in the back... they looked like a couple out for an evening ride. They are fast and quiet, they will sneak up from behind and once it's in their hands, they'll take off like lightning. Be paranoid. Sorry.

As a rule of thumb, I always hold my mobile phone with two hands as close to my body as possible...I avoid standing too close to the curb or on a street corner...in spite of my procedures, I still came close to loosing my mobile. I get the strongest urge to warn everyone please don't walk around holding out your mobile phone in front with one hand...you will be the easiest target. Of course if you can avoid pulling out your smart phone in public, all the better.

thanks for coming back to me.

my phone was tucked away in my pocket as was my cash,

there is just no telling.

sorry to hear of your ordeal, I chased too, but he was fast and I was shocked)

if anyone has any old phones to sell I will be eager to buy,

man, I have 4 weeks left and am thinking of just going next week. such a great city. but living in retiro is not giving me the beautiful BA experience AT ALL

oh have posted n ad in the apartments forum to see if anyone wants to rent me a room (in any shape) palermo, san telmo, albasto.... anywhere!!!
so I somehow might enjoy my last few weeks here.....without prostitutes, thieves and drug dealers in my local bars.help!

Yeah i'm not a fan of that area between Recoleta/Retiro/downtown... bad vibes and bad stuff seeming to happen on a more frequent basis. Here up in Nuñez it's super tranqui!! A totally different reality!!

I live right in the middle of all the action, 9 de Julio & Av. de Mayo, while I love living in such a central location, the crime around this area has increased significantly in the 4 years that I have lived in the area. Several times a week I see people "splattered" with a green/yellow substance and being "helped" by a kind (chorro) person helping them "wipe off the gook" and then they realize they have been pickpocketed, their backpack / camera / iPhone, etc - and then standing crying / desperately talking to the police who are helpless but courteous in assisting them, just saw it again happen to a German girl on Saturday at 2 in the afternoon. I beg people DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES AND LISTEN TO MUSIC OR TALK ON THE CELL PHONE WHILE WALKING AROUND THIS CITY....AGAIN..DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES AND LISTEN TO MUSIC OR TALK ON THE CELL PHONE WHILE WALKING AROUND THIS CITY....if you do this you are a easy moving target and will likely become a victim of this type of crime. If you must take / make a call, stand against a building, stop walking, go in the entrance of a business, etc. These theives know you are distracted and WILL take advantage...so far, these crimes are not violent but as people become more and more desperate for money and know there is total impunity for these types of crimes under this government, this will continue to happen and may worsen, be careful!!

there are certain things that I just wouldn´t do in BsAs that I would do in other places:
1) buy and drive around in a new car, or somewhat new car, even if it isn´t expensive. We drive a 1990 traffic work vehicle that is rusty. No one is going to steal it as there is no demand for parts. And stay away from VW boras. . . for some reason they LOVE to steal them.
2) use an expensive notebook computer in a café. if you have the money, get a cheap one for outdoor use.
3) use an iphone or similar really expensive phone. you are walking around with a month´s salary in your pocket. especially an iphone.

Being robbed is a horrible experience, and my heart goes out with you. Even being careful, it has happened to us, mainly when we have been destracted. When I was told that I wasn´t getting my residency I cried as in Retiro. Wallet stolen! (did get residency later).

there are certain things that I just wouldn´t do in BsAs that I would do in other places:
1) buy and drive around in a new car, or somewhat new car, even if it isn´t expensive. We drive a 1990 traffic work vehicle that is rusty. No one is going to steal it as there is no demand for parts. And stay away from VW boras. . . for some reason they LOVE to steal them.
2) use an expensive notebook computer in a café. if you have the money, get a cheap one for outdoor use.
3) use an iphone or similar really expensive phone. you are walking around with a month´s salary in your pocket. especially an iphone.

Being robbed is a horrible experience, and my heart goes out with you. Even being careful, it has happened to us, mainly when we have been destracted. When I was told that I wasn´t getting my residency I cried as in Retiro. Wallet stolen! (did get residency later).

The most "robbed " car is the VW Gol for parts, as it is the most popular vehicle. So Said Clarin..!

There are chorros all over the place. Times are tough. People steal. Be cafeful when walking around and whenever possible dont carry over $1000 dollars worth of small portable electronics on you in public. Especially in the centro. Its a 211 waiting to happen.

Back