Rugby world cup

PhilCharter3

Registered
The Rugby World Cup starts tomorrow with England playing Argentina at 5:30pm on Saturday.

Is anybody else going to be watching? Are there any good expat bars that are going to be rocking to the sound of "Swing low sweet chariot?"

He he, Is anybody going to want to be openly British on this day? Especially if England wins.
Of course, the ABs will win the championship! ....... ..... They will, Honest!!

Yop, the games will be aired around 3/5 am (Argentina). Personally I don't mind since I wake up around 3:20 am, at least that will be for once useful.

Australia could win too. Among the 6 NH Nations, I see only the Rose being able to do something (promising new generation, fighting spirit, Wilko if he's in shape, they always do well in WC).

Argentina is not what it was even 1/2 years ago (and JM Hernandez won't be there).
France, like always, is able to do the best like the worst but they might -finally!- play "Rugby Champagne". In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Japan was to beat France (Rugby is becoming the sport with the most licensed people on the far East island).
The AB have always been unlucky against the French in major tournaments but I'm afraid it won't happen this time (anyway, if anyone is up to silly bets : if France beats the AB, I cross 9 de julio wearing a string, lol).

French Jurist, I would take you up on your bet but I'd hate to see what I'd have to do if the ABs won!
And you're right, we don't do well against the French. I have decided that it is because while the ABS are really strong, they just can't compare to the French who are so macho that they don't mind wearing club rugby shirts that are baby pink or have big flowers on them!

AngelinBA said:
French Jurist, I would take you up on your bet but I'd hate to see what I'd have to do if the ABs won!
And you're right, we don't do well against the French. I have decided that it is because while the ABS are really strong, they just can't compare to the French who are so macho that they don't mind wearing club rugby shirts that are baby pink or have big flowers on them!

Indeed, AB are supposed to win. If only our 5 times heavyweight world champion in Judo (Teddy Riner : 2.04 meters, 138 kilos - 6 ft 7/303 lbs = probably can defeat any boxer/freefighter once grabbed) was to decide himself to play rugby (this story came out as a joke a few months ago, but he's thinking about trying another sport and rugby seems perfect), then we would stand a chance to win the WC ! Next time maybe.

So what about venues?

Does anyone know if Argentina-England is being shown in public somewhere Saturday morning (late Friday night)? Could be a good time.

I am in NZ at the moment, and all i have heard for the last few weeks is world cup this/that/something else.

Was driving back from wellington 2 days ago, and couldnt believe the number of camper vans i passed that had argentina flags stuck to the bonnets and backs - i guess they were heading south for the england clash. I didnt see any other national flags on car/vans etc.. so kind of cool to see argies out here supporting their team.

AngelinBA said:
I have decided that it is because while the ABS are really strong, they just can't compare to the French who are so macho that they don't mind wearing club rugby shirts that are baby pink or have big flowers on them!

Indeed the pink shirts of the "Stade Français" are/were quite flashy :p

But the legendary (and nice to watch) Haka has not always been what it is now :
This is from 1973, when the AB were in Cardiff (Guitar Hero or Macarena style !) :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec&feature=player_embedded

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 0
Gringoboy Entertainment 12
D Newcomers Forum 7
N Entertainment 0
S Culture 3
Back