Rules regarding use of public transport

chris

Registered
Just what are the rules regarding use of public transport (trains, colectivos etc) these days?

I've no first-hand or second-hand experience of the Subte but my proto-Stepdaughter, who is an essential worker says that trains and buses are still intended for essential workers only. Bus drivers, she says, are not checking passengers for credentials and buses are crowded. The situation on the trains is different and more complicated. I believe that only Subecards that have been registered to essential workers are supposed to work in the barriers. I'm told that the booking system which is supposed to reduce overcrowding on the trains doesn't really work properly and is thrown out of synch by train cancellations. Walk around any intermediate railway station (I've seen this on Linea San Martin and I guess it's true on the other lines) and you will find holes in the fencing where unticketed people have forced their way through. Hang around at the right times and you will see people streaming in and out of these holes and climbing up and down onto the platforms where they catch the trains for free. The hobos and itinerant traders have always done this but now it looks as if regular travelers are doing it too.

I will share my first-hand experience recently on a colectivo. Saturday, August 7 was a very warm winter day, so I wanted to walk in the forest of Palermo. I got on a crowded bus for Plaza Italia, but after traveling only six blocks on Av. Jujuy, the bus was at a standstill and had to make a detour to avoid the protest demonstration on Av.Rivadavia. I started walking and took the H line subte to the end of the line. It was very crowded. Standing room only like the colectivo. I have no special permission for colectivos or subtes and didn't see anyone denied travel. Masks are required.

I've been using buses regularly here in Buenos Aires with no issues, there are no checks and I've been using a standard anonymous subtle card without issue.

Until recently there were checks at Metro entrances but I used the Metro last week with no checks, with the amount of people on it I guess there are no checks at any entrance now.

I'm using subways a lot. Some stations are closed. Sometime police ask for your id number and he writes it down in a notes book. There is not many people using subways.

Back