Rumors gov wants to ban AirBNB?

Fiscal

Registered
My friend told me this rumor is now circulating and also they are going after booking.com. Anyone else heard this? Terrible news for me if true.

I haven't heard this rumor, and it would only help Despegar which has been rather vocal in their criticism of the Ks, so I'd be surprised

There have been studies that a lot of airbnbs make neighborhoods less affordable. On an anecdotical level, I hear friends and conocidos talk about converting their formerly long term deptos into airbnbs, and investing in deptos en pozo to later rent as airbnbs.

Seems like a realistic K populist move that probably wouldn't solve anything. They'll point to an European city that did something similar to show they aren't radical and it's a common sense measure.

This measure may even benefit a few politicians. Outside of the major chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc many hotels are used for money laundering by corrupt officials, narcos, and so on. If they make it more difficult for rent short term rentals, more of this money flows into hotels.

Of course, Argentines are pros about getting around regulations, but it would make things worse for short term visitors and the mom and pop investor.

There have been studies that a lot of airbnbs make neighborhoods less affordable. On an anecdotical level, I hear friends and conocidos talk about converting their formerly long term deptos into airbnbs, and investing in deptos en pozo to later rent as airbnbs.

Seems like a realistic K populist move that probably wouldn't solve anything. They'll point to an European city that did something similar to show they aren't radical and it's a common sense measure.

This measure may even benefit a few politicians. Outside of the major chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc many hotels are used for money laundering by corrupt officials, narcos, and so on. If they make it more difficult for rent short term rentals, more of this money flows into hotels.

Of course, Argentines are pros about getting around regulations, but it would make things worse for short term visitors and the mom and pop investor.
Barcelona has had a lot of problems with AIRbnb. Other cities also. Many renters misbehave and cause a lot of disturbances for neighbors.

i feel like there isn't enough money at stake for whatever corrupt politico to profit on this. Airbnb just isn't a great deal with the massive disparity between blue and official.

Lol. Property in CABA is not skyrocketing. i think its still down 20% from peak.

Rents are higher, but we need to see more sales before we see a Portugal level problem.

It's not about fixing a problem, it's about putting the blame for the high cost of living on someone else.

Rents are higher not because of all the regulations we put around renting, or monetary inflation, but because of all of these foreigners.

There may be more money in it than you think, in CABA alone there are 20,000 Airbnb listings.

It's not about fixing a problem, it's about putting the blame for the high cost of living on someone else.

Rents are higher not because of all the regulations we put around renting, or monetary inflation, but because of all of these foreigners.

There may be more money in it than you think, in CABA alone there are 20,000 Airbnb listings.
Are there figures to show the rough ratio of tourists and expatriates against locals? There’s no denying that foreigners with more capital exacerbate property and rental prices though one would assume that the degree of this scales with the proportion of tourists. My intuition is that the ratio is reasonably greater in European hotspots than here.

In any case, with the explosion of remote working from the pandemic, foreigners with higher degrees of capital is something that’s going to persist and it’s reasonable for there to be solutions to mitigate the resultant effects on the property market. However, I think blocking airbnb would cause more problems than it would solve

Back