running shoes good prices

laureltp

Registered
i need a little advice here. is it just me or are good running shoes kind of expensive here? is there any store that has shoes at a good price/quality ratio? i see sneakers here for like 400 pesos and i am hesitant to buy them because they are so much money i would hate for them to wear out in just a few months.

They are more expensive here. I've been asked several times to bring some back on trips from the US.

Question... Do you want running shoes, i.e. shoes to go running in, or Fashion Running Shoes.... There is a difference....

Good running shoes are as expensive here as they are in Ireland. You can get most top makes here, and they are the same quality of shoe you will get anywhere, although I do have trouble sourcing Asics. If you simply want a pair of casual sneakers, then you can pick up the local brands at reasonable prices.

The only place I have found anywhere close to a good "deal" is Dexter. They have last years models for a little bit less, not much less mind you, just a little.

You can try Stock Center. It's in Belgrano just off the Juramento subway stop. They have three floors of sports clothes and shoes with "real" sport shoes and more fashion one. They even have ascics for our friend Liam.

www.stockcenter.com.ar

Down the street (with the traffic) a couple of stores there is another shop that has athletic types for less. But they were closed when I went so I didn't go in, just saw the window.

ETA: I just looked on the website & they have on in Alto Palermo & on Calle Florida.

In the UK you would pay about AR$400+ for a good pair of running shoes.

Mini - Thnaks for that link to the Stock Center, they seem to have a place here in Avellaneda as well, so I will check that out. On the web site, although they show Asics on their banner, when you look at the products, sadly they are not showing any :( - but I live in hope.....

As for price comparators, I use Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, and in Ireland, the latest model will set you back around 140 euro's, which equates here to around 650/700 pesos. They are around the same price in dollars in the US (by the time you add the sales tax on the list price), ie US$140, somewhat cheaper than back home.

I have seen the Nimbus 10 (2008 model) here in a store, retailing at 735 peso, but seeing as the Nimbus 12 upgrade is out, I will try and souce those, probably have to go stateside to do it though, but I will try out that Stock centre.

As a running coach over th eyears, one thing I would say to any perspective runner, is make sure you get your feet checked, your gait analyzed, before you spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes. In running, the only real equipment you need to run is shoes, (OK, girls you need a very good sports bra too) and it is imperative that you get the right ones for you, your build, weight, gait etc., all play a part in shoe selection... No two people are the same, so I can't give advice on which shoe is right for "you", but don't go for a cheap solution if you are going to run - You will end up paying for it in the end.....

Liam, I'm 99% sure they had asics shoes at the store. But I would doubt they had the ones you are looking for. I'm not sure they would be able to sell very many at probably double the E140 (don't forget the import taxes).

I was there on Sunday looking for a pair to take to the gym to walk the tread mill & do some stationary biking. I was totally overwhelmed that I finally ran out screaming. They had good general options for 250 and up and up. They had lots of really cute football boots! Most shoes were marked down. I don't know if they are having a sale or if this is their normal MO.

Thanks again mini - I think that Asics are produced in Brazil, I do know you can get them readily there, so you never know your luck, I'll be looking :)

While on the subject of running, the latest Hash Run takes place on Sunday - July 4th, in Palermo Soho, with full details on the Events Forum, so come along, and don't be put off, we run, walk, make friends, enjoy a beer afterwards, and its not competitive (well, except the beer drinking afterwards might be.....).

thanks for all the replies.

i know that a good pair of running shoes cost money, and actually spending around the equivalent of 100 dollars doesn't look so bad when you compair prices from the US or the UK, but i am not living in the US or the UK. and when you live on pesos 400 is alot of money to spend on shoes. (if that makes sense, i am not very good at explaining myself sometimes) that's why i want to make my move so carefully, i am willing to save up and buy expensive shoes but only if they are actually worth what they cost.

but anyway, its not just the price its the quality that concerns me. i feel that here compared to new york, the quality of the clothing is much worse. i am not against spending money, but if i am going to spend money i want it to be on a good quality item. i could buy really cheap shoes but then i would be replacing them every few months. i want something that will work well and last for a little while.

i will check into all of the suggestions and thanks again for the helpful responses.

Back