Russia Retaliates W Food Import Ban; Impact On Argentina?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Today Russia announced a retaliatory food import ban against the EU, USA, Australia, Canada, and Norway because those governments sanctioned Russia with their own import bans in response to Russia's suspected assistance of the separatists in the Ukraine. Since Russia desperately needs food imports to help feed it's citizens Putin will now need to go look elsewhere for food he can buy.

CNN story here. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/world/europe/russia-ukraine-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I suspect the Russian Federation will be making phone calls to the governments of Argentina and Brasil. If Russia strikes a deal with Argentina to buy wheat, corn, and soy how do you think that will affect local prices? Do you think the large farming cooperatives will be willing to assist CFK, et al?

GS

One of the biggest items being banned is chickens.
Maybe Argentina can buy the newfound surplus of US grown chickens, relabel them "industria argentina", and sell them to the russians?

I believe this was already in the works and that's part of what he was doing here a few weeks ago. Kneejerk reactions aren't unheard of, but that seems like a pretty major call even by Russian standards.

Good for Argentina/Brazil farmers... they'll get paid, and in the end that's all that matters.... not so great for American chicken farms.

Its not that Argentina produces and cant place its production anywhere, so Russia comes and relieves this situation!! I would say we can not produce more, we are beating records every year, we are on top of our capacity.

Its not that Argentina produces and cant place its production anywhere, so Russia comes and relieves this situation!! I would say we can not produce more, we are beating records every year, we are on top of our capacity.

Things in Argentina are invariably so great that they can never get better.

concerning to the agro, these ten past (K) years could not have been better.
better for who , Matias?

Uruguaya and Paraguay export as much if not more meat than Argentina.

Soya brings in cash but in 10 years time there will be no agro business at all...

I fail to understand why Russians can't get their chickens to lay eggs.... Is it the abundance of food scraps in the States that makes it such a poultry powehouse?
And what's with the blatant racism http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/06/russia-racist-laser-obama_n_5656732.html ?
A couple of months ago Russians diplomas in Africa were joking about having a plebiscite in Miami, Barcelona, Scotland....
They're getting bold!

better for who , Matias?

Uruguaya and Paraguay export as much if not more meat than Argentina.

Soya brings in cash but in 10 years time there will be no agro business at all...

For Peronists, the short term is all that matters.

there's soy in paraguay brazil and uruguay too, altogether more than in Argentina; but in those countries the meat industry has not been destroyed by the government.so ranchers still have a motivation to breed cattle.

Back