Safe way to post items to Argentina?

#1
Hola! Anyone know the safest, cheapest and most convenient way to get something expensive (camera lenses) sent to Buenos Aires from Australia? Gracias!
 
#4
Avoid DHL like the plague it is. A guaranteed three-day letter took ten days to reach the States, and when I called to complain all I got was attitude. Never again....
 
#5
SaraSara said:
Avoid DHL like the plague it is. A guaranteed three-day letter took ten days to reach the States, and when I called to complain all I got was attitude. Never again....
Mine was a parcel sent from the UK (value about US$200). Paid for 5 day door-to-door delivery and it took 19 days and they charged me US$150 in extra charges when it got here.
I went through a long process of complaining, eventually talking with a senior manager at their HQ in the States, who said he could do nothing about it because DHL Argentina was an autonomous organisation.
 
#6
Alzinho said:
I went through a long process of complaining, eventually talking with a senior manager at their HQ in the States, who said he could do nothing about it because DHL Argentina was an autonomous organisation.
DHL is a German company. Makes one wonder what became of the much-ballyhooed German efficiency.

That "autonomous organization" cop out was used when banks in Argentina "pesified" dollar deposits, paying thirty cents on the dollar. Banks who had been marketed as branches of US-based banks turned out to be wholly independent entities, with no ties whatsoever to the States. They had the name but no US backing, so Bank Boston, Citybank, etc., left their depositors high and dry.
 
#8
Missj11 said:
Hola! Anyone know the safest, cheapest and most convenient way to get something expensive (camera lenses) sent to Buenos Aires from Australia? Gracias!
Ship it through a private forwarder (like UPS, Fedex etc) and label it as books (if you can). And you won't have to pay taxes for it. That would be the safest and cheapest way IMO.

Lee said:
Have someone stick it up their ass and not declare it.

I did it and enjoyed it!
This is not the place for your anal fantasies Lee :p
 
#9
We always use DHL to ship packages and documents between Argentina and Europe, and never had any problem, they are always very punctual. Maybe they are not good in the US?
 
#10
katti said:
We always use DHL to ship packages and documents between Argentina and Europe, and never had any problem, they are always very punctual. Maybe they are not good in the US?
You are an employee of DHL Argentina and I claim my £5! ;-)

They may be fine from Arg to Eur, but anything coming into this country is seen as an opportunity to squeeze more money out of Johnny Foreigner.

STEER WELL CLEAR OF DHL!