saint patricks day celebrations

kevin10

Registered
hi we are a family of four with two young boys aged 8 and 5..we have heard that Retiro has the biggest party for saint Patricks day and also plaza Irlanda in Caballito? anybody suggest which is teh better local for families?

Last year I went to San Patricio celebrations around Plaza San Martin. The was a small parade (it started around 5:30pm) that went from Arroyo street up to Plaza San Martin. The first ones to walk at the parade were students from Irish schools/community. Then the students went up to an stage set up at the Plaza, they danced typical music and there was a brief historical review. For instance, the speaker mentioed that the national heroe Almirante Guillermo Brown was Irish (or from Irish descendance)., so then the speaker spoke about the importance of the irish community into the Argentinian history. At the same time there was a young lady walking around the visitors that was a make up artist painting typical irish things on people's faces for some pesos, I think $20. The photographers from the media took pictures of the "new" faces. The whole parade was family oriented, with lots of kids around.

By 7pm the event at the Plaza San Martin was finished and the people were invited to go to Reconquista street, which was more than crowded of young people having tons of fun.

I remember the Municipalidad sponsored the parade and the show at the Plaza San Martin.

I have no clue about what happened in Caballito.

I caught some of the Saint Paddy's Day in Retiro festivities on an episode of Calles Salvajes one evening. It definitely was NOT something to take children too. However it probably started later at night, after the events that Roxana described. When topless girls start climbing on top of the street lights, it's time to grab the kids and leave.

This will be my third St Patricks day here, and the "entertainment" varies.

Reconquista and the partying are definitely NOT for children - It's an excuse for locals to get drunk, and for some reason pretend to be Irish for the day - I haven't worked out why yet.

Last year we went to Plaza Irlanda, where there was a short ceremony, then the Ambassador and local dignities went to a Church Service, and there was a festival planned on the Plaza. Unfortunately the heavens opened up, and everyone had to retire to the Beer tent and the festival had to be cancelled. Later in the evening we went to CasaBar, where everyone was enjoying the "holiday", with face paints etc...

Usually the embassy sends out details of the "official" ceremonies, and as soon as I have them I will post the details for you.

"- It's an excuse for locals to get drunk, and for some reason pretend to be Irish for the day - I haven't worked out why yet." hahaha SOUNDS LIKE THE TYPICAL YANKEES AND CANCUKS
:)

I think the party in Caballito was canceled last year because of rain....

I remember the party at Plaza San Martin was sponsored by the Municipalidad, so you might find info at their website.

I just remember ... well not much. I was at reconquista climbing a lightpost :)

Back