Salta Or Cafayate Living? What's Most Scenic?

polostar88

Registered
What's the most scenic place you've lived in, in Argentina? I don't mean Ushuaia, where I wouldn't want to live, but somewhere warmer. I heard Salta or Cafayate is nice. Any idea if you can get a monthly apartment or place there and about how much it would go for? I guess that's the biggest expense.

Also what are the people in Salta like?

Could use some more advice. Any of you lived in Salta? Hard or easy to find a place to stay there for a month or longer? And about how much?

EdRooney on the forum lives there, we even met him for a Coffee Chat, Salta Edition once. I don't know if he's still on the forum. He's one of the good guys.

I don't think I'd have any problem staying there for a month. It's a big enough city where I wouldn't get bored, there's stuff to do in the area, good choice of restaurants (even good vegan/vegetarian choices), etc. I don't remember the prices from my visit, but it must be cheaper than BA.

Edit:
Cafayate is nice (beautiful mountains in the background... just google for images), but much smaller. I'm not a big wine guy, so I could probably get bored in Cafayate after a few days or a week. Salta also has nice scenery, they have that teleferico and the big hill (mountain?) right next to the city. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telef%C3%A9rico_de_Salta

Thanks. It's fairly easy to find a monthly apartment in BsAs I'm just wondering if the same is true in Salta or Cafayate, or even other parts of Argentina, like places in Patagonia (maybe not as expensive as Bariloche).

My go-to place to check is AirBNB. Even if I don't end up using AirBNB to do the booking, it gives me an idea of the availability. You can probably get a better deal using another means to book a place.

Given the choice I'd probably choose Cafayate over Salta as it has a friendly, small town atmosphere.
I passed through both on my motorbike last year and the ride from Cafayate to Salta on RN68 is stunning, passing through Quebrada de las Conchas.
A must see!

EdRooney on the forum lives there, we even met him for a Coffee Chat, Salta Edition once. I don't know if he's still on the forum. He's one of the good guys.

We were guests of Ed and his family at his home in Salta last year when we enjoyed an asado, some fine wines and hospitality.
Since then however he seems to have gone to ground and we haven't heard from him since. Not here or anywhere.
Has anyone else?

Haven't spent much time in either place, but Cafayate is definitely more scenic. It's a small town though, not much going on there. Some nice wineries at the edge of town, a few restaurants, shops, etc. Salta is a city of probably around 500,000. There are more restaurants, cafes, cultural offerings. Depends what you're looking for...

I'm a big fan of small towns where not much is going on, although Cafayate is is a Mecca for backpackers and bikers. A stunning place in my opinion and so very different from Salta, which can be anytown, anywhere in Argentina, really.

Back