Salta to Cafayate

rosstheexpat

Registered
Greetings,
I am planning to take a trip from Salta to Cafayate and I was wondering if anyone has taken that route before? Did you take the bus? A remis? Perhaps you rent a car? What do you recommend?

I heard the scenery on that route is breathtaking - can anyone confirm this?
- Ross

Hi, Yes it is amazing, I have done it untold times as a guide. It all depends how much time you have. The best single leg is Cafayate to Cachi in that direction as you get the best light in the badlands. Best entire trip is fly to Tucuman, drive to Tafi, over to Amaicha del Valle, from there to Quilmes and on to cafayate then Cachi and then the Cuesta del Obispo hairpin road down through the clouds down to Salta. The hirecar drop off shouldnt be much from Tucuman to Salta, but dont tell them you are going north of cafayate as it is a dirt road and they will charge you more.
hope this helps, mark

Yes, we flew into Salta and rented a car and drove down to Cafayate. We took the main paved highway down, really beautiful. Beautiful road, beautiful scenery, like driving in Arizona, Utah Four Corners region, USA. Then took a day trip on ruta 40.
Nancy

I'm doing this trip at the beginning of March. I think we'll be renting a car, as there is a lot to see around the area and I don't want to rely on buses.

Anyone have a recommendation for booking a rental car? Just use expedia or is there something better available?

The hostel "El Balcon" in Cafayate has tours in a van from Cafayate to Cachi and back by the Salta road. I jumped off in Cachi and slept there. Next morning I took the normal public bus to Salta. The driver of the public bus stopped five minutes right over the clouds before doing the Cuesta del Obispo so the five foreigners on the bus could take pictures of the amazing view. The road of Cafayate to Cachi is one of the most beautiful I did anywhere. I wish I had more days to stop on the little towns on the way (Molinos, Seclantas, etc).

Hey, rosstheexpat or anyone, Id like to hear about renting a car there, too. We're likely going to that area for a week the first week of May. Thanks.

Last time I was there I rented an Avis car. I've had best luck and prices through Travelocity but that could change day to day. I would also try Priceline, Expedia and the car sites themselves. Always reserve a car ahead of time. Costs nothing to cancel if you find a better deal at the destination.

Hey, GuyinBA, are you planning to attend the harvest at Estancia at the beginning of March? That's the reason why I'm heading there to Cafayate.

If you are, we can split the transportation cost by renting a car together or something!! That would be great!!

Hi everyone, I did a trip to Salta and Cafayate in November. We did it on a motorcycle so I can't help with info about renting a car, but our blog includes a fair bit of description about what the roads and scenery are like (as well as photos). It might help if you're planning a trip. (And I'm happy to try to answer specific questions -- we did a lot of planning to fit everything in that we wanted, while also getting the bike back to BA on time.)
http://www.stephandben.com/2011/11/motorcycle-trip-day-3-monteros-to-salta.html

Back