San Telmo: the future chick town?

rickulivi

Registered
There was an interesting article in a local newspaper saying that Palermo Soho was going downhill quickly. The same has happened to Puerto Madero. Will the next hot spot be San Telmo? It has history and location. Will it bloom?

Palermo Soho is boarded up now. So many shops, bars, restaurants and cafés have signs outside saying they are gone for good - it is a sad and shocking sight all around Plaza Serrano.

It will take time to find new investors to fill those gaps, and while those gaps exist it is going to be a pretty depressing place. And no one likes to hangout in depression-ville.

San Telmo / Barracas have been tipped to bloom for some time now. Also Chacarita.
Nuñez and Vincente Lopez are also starting to boom with a slightly older / family / professional single crowd.

I thought Sn Telmo was already a hipster hotspot. The high ratio of English-speakers there (based on my unscientific observations) seems to be similar to Palermo.

I thought they already decided Villa Crespo was next. Plus, Soho will actually be a nicer place without all those bars for the bridge and tunnel crowd, and its still close to the green belt, so I kinda doubt it will die for good.

Also, you cant call Puerto Madero and Palermo Soho "the same". One is a remote planned neighborhood of very expensive high rises, cut off from the city. The other is a classic old barrio, integrated into the city, with a very mixed population. My taxi driver I use for airport transfers lives in a very middle class apartment in Soho, and has for 20 years. He could never afford an apartment in Madero, nor would he want to. A lot of Soho, especially down by Cordoba, and up by Santa Fe, is extremely funky.

None of which is to put down San Telmo, which is actually too funky, authentic, and close to the autopista and La Boca to ever become anything like Soho.

While we are nominating our favorite neighborhoods, I like Villa Urquiza / Villa Ortúzar, but the gentrification of that fine old barrio was thundering along until the corona crisis began. The onda is nice, and there is decent access to both train lines and the B line of the Subte. I especially like that there are still mostly 2-story buildings, and fewer of the newer high-rise obscenities which blight much of Palermo.

I live on the line where Villa Ortúzar and Characita meet. Before the plague, it seemed like a good mix between a "normal" neighborhood and a slight hipster element with interesting new restaurants/cafés (many that were getting priced out of Palermo). I think the proximity of Villa Fraga and the Lacroze station will probably keep the area from getting too gentrified. I've heard of occasional late-night muggings on Av. Forest.

Back