Santiago vs BA

YanquiGallego

Registered
As promised, I wanted to post a comparison of life in Santiago vs BA. Mind you, I have only been here for a little over a month. I have broken it into different basic everyday categories.

JOBS: The job market here is GOOD. And that is an understatement. Without actively seeking work, on my second day here, I was approached by a language school (I am not a language teacher) who heard my English and offered me 10.000 Chilean pesos (about 22 dollars an hour) per hour to teach English at their academy. I later learned this is actually low and that private teachers here charge and earn 14.000-17.000 pesos an hour, a lot more if its Spanish to ex pats. Nevertheless, I was also offered other jobs here and there, one working just 2 hours a day for the President of a major mining company helping him with presentations, etc, making 900.000 Chilean pesos (1800 dollars) a month. English speakers here are not as common in BA except for in the upper classes and there arent as many expats here (yet)

LEGAL MUMBO JUMBO: From what I understand, if you hold a University title, the Chilean government will grant you a work visa provided that you have a company that is willing to hire you, which is quite easy from what I was led to believe by the language insitute that approached me.

SAFETY: Seems very safe. I have walked everywhere pretty much and no issues. Statistically, I heard Santiago was the second safest city in Latin America, second to Montevideo. It is also a very clean city, they do NOT put their trash on the streets without containers like they do in BA, and there is practically no dog crap on the sidewalks, which is surprising because they have TONS of stray dogs EVERYWHERE (horrible! i heard its because they dont believe in pounds in Chile)

DOLLARS/CURRENCY: Whatever you want, whenever you want. And they dont like dollars because its actually getting weaker to the peso. My landlady said she DOES NOT WANT DOLLARS.

IMPORTS: Paradise!!! Costanera Center Mall puts Alto Palermo and Patio Bullrich to shame. They have a GAP, a Banana Republic, and tons of imported labels which arent too badly priced, either. (No stiff import tax apparently)

RENT: Just like in Argentina, renting a "normal" apartment is hard, because they require you to show that you have been working for six months and demonstrate that you make atleast 3 times what the apartment rent costs. Furnished, short term units are about double the price of unfurnished, but still a lot cheaper than BA, and most do not require a security deposit and are totally all inclusive with daily or atleast twice weekly maid service. I pay 500.000 pesos for a furnished two bedroom all included, and a lot of Chilenos consider that expensive, to give you an idea.

CELL PHONES: Same as in Argentina, but a lot cheaper, and just like in the US and some parts of Europe, they actually give top-end cell phones away AT ZERO COST when you sign a long term contract with them. (Iphones too)

ELECTRONICS: Very affordable. A Mac Book Pro costs 600.000 pesos brand new at Ripley, a major department store (about 1300 dollars) Wide range of all brands and makes. There is no black market here with electronics as they are easy to get and credit is easy to get, so generally if you want a new one, its as easy as walking into a department store.

Now for the cons, quite honestly there are still some things where BA is better. Dining out here is nowhere near as good as in BA, a lot less delivery options, and Chilenos LOVE anything fried (KFCs everywhere and even Burger King sells fried chicken), and the fine dining is so behind that it reminds me of those cafeterias on Avenida Santa Fe that maybe back in the day were luxurious but now look like nursing home cafeterias but that still charge high prices, honestly here you have to have a few, select "key" go to places. (There are some good ones though, just not as many) I can count on one hand the good meals I have had in Santiago and I eat out almost every day.

Also culturally, I must admit I have had a very challenging time adjusting to the people. I have a very outspoken, chummy demeanor, and on many occasions in a short period of time, I feel like some Chilenos have been taken back by some of what Ive said in hopes of just being friendly or funny--A Chileno cab driver explained that the Chileno is so well mannered and soft spoken, you could have 10 in a lift with a horrid smell and no one would say anything about it which I thought hit the nail right on the head.

Also Chilenos do not go out as often as people in BA do, and many bars/clubs close the earlier part of the week.

Generally, it also makes me feel more like I am definitely in Latin America rather than having the European feel and air that BA still SOMEWHAT has (but every day is being diminished, if you ask me) The people do not care as much about grooming/dressing well, except for the upper classes, which makes it kind of a pain in the butt as if you want a good hair cut you have to go to a pricier place as the Chilean mind set is, "Well, if you want to go to the hair salon, you obviously have money" Unlike in BA where all the women go sometimes more than once a week. The concept of "metrosexual" products here doesnt exist: In BA, I can find skin care lines at any Farmacity devoted to men especially, whereas here the woman at the pharmacy told me that I didnt need face wash because I am a man and do not wear makeup and instead suggested a can of shaving foam (!!) No hair gel, etc. (I have been looking quite rough)

I have seen a little of the whole classist thing that some people on this forum had mentioned was a problem in Chile, and I must admit, depending upon the circumstances it can be an issue, but also it cuts both ways and youd be surprised: When I go somewhat nicely dressed to some of the more normal, more working class type bars (which I love to go to experience some of the local flair) I actually get treated like shit and eyed like I have no business being there. My friend calls it the reverse Pretty Woman effect. So its definitely quite segregated, sadly, but part of it seems to be because they want for it to be like this. Whereas, in BA, I think its safe to assume that anybody can walk into anywhere provided they have the cash, without being questioned as to what they are doing there.

Part of living in the day and age where we are now, is living somewhere you dont necessarily find to be the 100% ideal place but you live there because of the job market or economy, and this is my feelings about Santiago right now. While I love the perks and upper hand its got to BA in a lot of things, I dont feel the gusto I felt living in BA living here (of course i am bias, my already tarnished opinon of BA all changed when I was held up at gunpoint and had practically everything I had stolen) So honestly I dont know how long I will stay, but for right now I am staying put, but I do plan to go to BA quite often as we are divorced but still playing together I guess you could say LOL

Thank you for this uplifting,balanced and informative post.Coming from you after your experience here it means a lot.
I personally do not know Santiago but have spoken to some Chilenos who themselves say that the centre of Santiago after nightfall is boring,the main reason being that locals earning local money more often than not cannot afford to live close by.

Wish you continued wellbeing in your new home.

I think the main upside is that you have snow and beach within driving distance and mountains within walking/biking distance. A con could be that you will need a car if you atleast want to enjoy most of those pro's.

Thanks for a well-balanced comparison. Good luck in Santiago!

Love the update!! Keep em coming as you settle in more and discover more!

Great post Yanqui thanks for all the info. You seem to have gotten back on the horse pretty well, anyhoo. Have you managed to get out of the city yet? One of my boss´s spent close to 3 years working in Santiago n his favourite part was, like El Chabon mentioned, the proximity to the mountains n the coast.

I too found Santiago to be much more "American" (fast food, people a bit less gregarious, better economy) and quite boring!

Pick your evil I guess..

If you want a good life, some serious prospects and have a steady GF/wife or kids I wouldnt even doubt Santiago over BA.

How much fun can you have if you work 50/60 hours a week anyway? The odd going out, eating out with the wife, going to the odd theater or soccer game will do.

Sundays can easily be filled with going to the beach, mountains or places around Santiago

BA is just a short flight away for a small holiday, in the south there is Patagonia, north is interesting and every single major south American city is reachable by plane

Very good & helpful report. Thanks.
While starting out reading, it was looking like maybe some sort of destiny had the frustrating event in BA end you up in Santiago to land on some nice opportunities, but further reading into the post, seems not so sure.
You did a nice job in laying out pros and cons of both places.
There are some luring aspects still of BA despite its other flaws.
It all of course really depends on each individual's preferences. Some like "dull, boring, quiet" places while others long for "vibrant, cultured" places. Some place security as their number one. Some are willing to live on the edge somewhat in order to have other perks found in a spot. Still others place more importance on the job scene or activities for raising a family, etc. Obvious points, clear though that beyond general info that most people are not running to live in Ghana for example, much of the rest of conditional criteria depends on the individual's preferences.

Thanks for the field reports.

Back