Sbarro New York Pizza is coming to Buenos Aires.

Personally I've found pizza in Buenos Aires to be very disappointing, big spongy pizza bases, even pizza bases made from sliced bread, generally an unspeakable abomination completely different to the Italian pizza you find in northern Italy or generally in Europe (you can find a report from the Gourmet Channel about it here:

Dumping a truckload of cheese on top of the bread pizza doesn't quite save the situation. I've managed to avoid the Faina so far.

I suppse Sbarro will consider pepperoni to be some kind of salami, so my expectations are not high.

Personally I've found pizza in Buenos Aires to be very disappointing, big spongy pizza bases,

I thought everyone loved pizza here- never been disappointed personally.

You have to try El Cuartito in microcentro.
It's special. And their base isn't as thick as, say Kentucky.

The anchovy (anchoa) -- triple marinated sauce, no cheese, and a single anchovy across it.
Their cheese (Mozza) is great too. Kind of smokey, deeper flavor than mozza I've had elsewhere.

Anyone else have favorite pizza spots to recommend?

This was recently published in a BA paper. Sbarro of New York pizza chain is comin to BA.
So now you don’t have to travel to NYC for that thin slice of pizza.
It’s schedule to open next year. For my $$$ my favorite BA pizzeria is Banchero's on Calle Corrientes. I love it.

Strange business venture considering that they'll be introducing an overpriced inferior product into a super competitive market. But I'm sure some people may like their frozen crusts, frozen cheese, processed meat, chemical additives, and no flavor.

My favorite local place:

my favorite pizzas here are the non traditional argie types.

hell's pizza and NY style pizza are really good. Cincinnati pizza and antonio's both have really good neapolitan style pizzas.

i also have taken a liking to Nubes Restaurant's pizzas. they have a good crust and make a decent one with chorizo espanol that i like if i want something closer to argie style (read: greasy)

Reactions: Moe
Why are the pizzas here never hot enough? Like 30 seconds later you might as well eat a solid piece of cheese.

I figured it was because the crusts are already made and they're really only melting the cheese and warming the topping before serving it to you. I resorted to preheating the oven before I bring the pizza back so I can cook it for 10 or so more minutes.

Strange business venture considering that they'll be introducing an overpriced inferior product into a super competitive market. But I'm sure some people may like their frozen crusts, frozen cheese, processed meat, chemical additives, and no flavor.

My favorite local place:

I don't think anyone here is saying that sbarro is good pizza. It's just another option for people. Although I don't think it will do that great here. This market is already saturated by pizza places.

Yes valid point about saturated market. Interesting factor is their business model. In average size city, like BA. pizza profit margins are 15%. Essentially 1 million in sales generates $150,000 pre-tax on average. Of course location, labor mitigates profit margins. Not bad deal. Metro Chicago has 14 franchises alone never mind competition and each location roughly generates $200,000 profit.

Back