Scam Culture

Girino

Registered
2 weeks ago we went furniture shopping on Cabildo. We stopped by for a set of table + 4 chairs. The salesman/owner told us that the price for the actual thing in the showroom was ARS 3700, while new it would be ARS 4200.

We took a couple of days to think about it, returned to the shop, looked at the showcased table/chairs more closely and noticed that the table had a huge creek on the side (like 2"), and some sort of fix was made (there was a stain, perhaps of glue?). The chairs had dents here and there, and the color was not even, so we decided to go with a new set.

For this, we were told we would have to wait 2 weeks. Which we did.
This Monday the set arrived, and yesterday I noticed a 2" creek on the side. With a barely covered stain. So we looked at the pictures we took at the showroom, and... SURPRISE! It was the same table with the same chairs, just painted again or well cleaned.

Today we went storming at the showroom, and the guy candidly admitted that it was the same table on showcase. So we told him to either give back the money, or send a NEW table and new chairs. He said ok to the latter, and that we should wait another 2 weeks.

I am very pissed and I don't think we will ever see a new table. What do you think? (This calls for a Joe's poll, so J. please go ahead!)

We had exactly the same scenario with a set of livingroom lights maybe 2 years ago. I was livid, but my wife (a local) hardly raised an eyebrow.
We eventually got the (actually new) lights, but it cost us several trips back to the shop ("they'll be in next week") and a lot of making-a-nuisance-of-ourselves. It was about 2 months from the time we paid for the lights to actually getting what we paid for.

It still angers me to think about it. :angry:

WOW people really think they can get away with anything; it's so sad- the desperation!!

While they are many reputable retailers, there are also many scammers out there!
Look at banks, telephone companies etc.
CAVEAT EMPTOR! Buyer, beware!

This Monday the set arrived, and yesterday I noticed a 2" creek on the side. With a barely covered stain. So we looked at the pictures we took at the showroom, and... SURPRISE! It was the same table with the same chairs, just painted again or well cleaned.

I know the winter rains have come, but there was flowing water on a piece of furniture?

Can you give the name of the store so others can avoud the place?

I wouldn't place too much blame on the cultural tendency to scams on Argentina. Its really becoming a world wide thing. When people see their 'leaders' lying and various other corruptions routinely they start deciding there is nothing wrong with it. Its a general breakdown of morals.

Back