Securing your bag in restaurants

John.St

Registered
Having read a thread or two about the risk of having bags stolen in public places like restaurants, I don't understand why everybody else don't use my simple trick in e.g. outdoor restaurants where I always place my bag on a chair next to me - fastened to the bag is a thin but strong nylon cord with a carbine hook (mountaineering equipment, cost 5 AR$).

Loop the cord around one arm of the chair or through its back, fasten the hook on the cord and a thief will have to run off with chair and all. I have an alarm in my bag too - move bag more than 2 feet away and hold hands over your ears. The alarm is sown into a small pocket inside the backpack, imposible to remove without scissors or knife.

My backpack is closed by two zips, locked together by a simple key ring.
Easy to open when you are sitting or standing still, but almost impossible if you are running.

john-st-albums-blighter-himself-picture75-carbine-hook-strap.jpg

Itzz azz simple azz zat!

why tempt them to take it even if it's connected to the chair?
I leave my bag on my lap.

mini said:
why tempt them to take it even if it's connected to the chair?
I leave my bag on my lap.
Mine often weighs 8-9 kg (18-20 lbs.).

I have an alarm in my bag too - move bag more than 2 feet away and hold hands on your ears.

I don't think it's normal that you have to look for your bag to be stolen. But hey BA in general is a pretty safe place right?

Some restaurants also tie your bag but they do that to assure you pay your bill

John.St said:
Mine often weighs 8-9 kg (18-20 lbs.).

I may add that I have an alarm in my bag too - move bag more than 2 feet away and hold hands on your ears.

That's a whole lot to be carrying around every day!

John.St

What do you carry in your bag that is so valuable? Alarms, chains... sounds very uncomfortable to me..

Loop the cord around one arm of the chair or through its back, fasten the hook on the cord and a thief will have to run off with chair and all.

That is just mean. The thief has a pregnant wife , 6 kids and a dog to feed. Now they go hungry.
LMBO
Your Idea is brilliant !

ReemsterCARP said:
John.St

What do you carry in your bag that is so valuable? Alarms, chains... sounds very uncomfortable to me..
Not valuable per se, but e.g. a Danish book and a Spanish/Danish dictionary are hard to come by around here + my handwritten notes and two monographies I am working on (have most of them in my computer, but this lazy bastard doesn't enter new work in text editor every day).

Perhaps AR$ 50-60 in actual value - worth several thousands to me, and me alone, but if stolen I shall never see it again.

I do a lot of my work the Argentine way, in cafés, where friends pop up.

Had a mochilla with a hand written monography stolen in Madrid once, some 30 or 40 hours of work down the drain and worthless to the thief - that tought me a lesson.

Back