Security Deposit Return

mwordell

Registered
Hi, My husband and I are seniors, and are visiting Buenos Aries for 3 months. We rented an apt in Palermo paid a $1000 deposit. The landlord lied to us and misrepresented the apt. It was filthy old broken furniture and mold in the bathroom. We are moving and now he’s threatening not to give us back our deposit. What are our options?
Thank you. Any advice will be appreciated.

Basically you have none.

Not uncommon for rentals to in bad shape with poor furniture. I'm sure the pictures were from 6 years ago.

Welcome to AR

Time , grief , and money … and you will not get your money returned , sadly…

Do a Google search for "viveza criolla". You are gaining valuable experience in Arg. Best practice is never buy anything you haven't seen in detail, in person.

Hi, My husband and I are seniors, and are visiting Buenos Aries for 3 months. We rented an apt in Palermo paid a $1000 deposit. The landlord lied to us and misrepresented the apt. It was filthy old broken furniture and mold in the bathroom. We are moving and now he’s threatening not to give us back our deposit. What are our options?

You may try the "Tenants Advocate"..! It's a long shot.

You will need a copy of the contract and a receipt for the deposit.

Thank you. I will try that.

How did you f8nd the property? Realtor, platform?

I would suggest you to find a local person to help you to talk and deal with the greedy landlord. I will share the similar experience here.

I have a friend who recently visited Buenos Aires from Europe. She called my boyfriend (a Porteno) one afternoon and asked my boyfriend to talk to the taxi driver on the phone. It turned out she had a taxi ride for about 10 blocks in Recoleta area. And the taxi driver asked her to pay 2000 Pesos. So my boyfriend talked (and yelled at ) to the taxi driver: "the lady will pay whatever it shows on the taxi meter, otherwise we're calling the police". The taxi driver got scared and just accepted the deal and took off. I hope you can find some local person to help you.

Talk to Inquilinos Agrupados

No guarantees they can help, but probably your best bet.

Back