Seeing all these old beautiful mansions in Belgrano R is depressing

What happened here?
As with many cities, former mansions can't be sold due to high maintenance and repair costs. I saw much the same in Philadelphia, PA where I lived and worked many years ago. The Widener mansion, a palatial estate at Broad and Girard in the city was torn down to make room for a McDonalds. There are so many other examples of that happening everywhere.

Best neighborhood in CABA, but owners stay there forever and can’t afford to keep up their property.

As with many cities, former mansions can't be sold due to high maintenance and repair costs. I saw much the same in Philadelphia, PA where I lived and worked many years ago. The Widener mansion, a palatial estate at Broad and Girard in the city was torn down to make room for a McDonalds. There are so many other examples of that happening everywhere.
The Widener mansion was used by an architectural firm before it was finally torn down. The neighborhood had greatly deteriorated however it is now coming back. There are many other impressive homes on North Broad Street that still survive, though deteriorated. On the whole the city of Philadelphia has preserved a great deal of its architectural patrimony. In the very same neighborhood as the Widener mansion that you mention, the abandoned and very deteriorated Metropolitan Opera House was beautifully restored a few years ago and now functions as a venue mostly for pop and rock groups (The Metropolitan Opera no longer comes to Philadelphia) As in Buenos Aires, economic and commercial interests in cities around the world can result in the good and the bad. In BA the magnificent Palacio Duhau, shuttered for many years, was restored and turned into a five star hotel.

The Widener mansion was used by an architectural firm before it was finally torn down. The neighborhood had greatly deteriorated however it is now coming back. There are many other impressive homes on North Broad Street that still survive, though deteriorated. On the whole the city of Philadelphia has preserved a great deal of its architectural patrimony. In the very same neighborhood as the Widener mansion that you mention, the abandoned and very deteriorated Metropolitan Opera House was beautifully restored a few years ago and now functions as a venue mostly for pop and rock groups (The Metropolitan Opera no longer comes to Philadelphia) As in Buenos Aires, economic and commercial interests in cities around the world can result in the good and the bad. In BA the magnificent Palacio Duhau, shuttered for many years, was restored and turned into a five star hotel.
I know that area in Philly very well as I was the manager of Continental Bank's Broad & Thompson office in the 1970's and a loan officer at their branch at Broad & Fairmount. Yes, the area is coming back but I wouldn't suggest walking around either location at night. It was sad even back then to drive along North Broad Street and see what "once was"

I know that area in Philly very well as I was the manager of Continental Bank's Broad & Thompson office in the 1970's and a loan officer at their branch at Broad & Fairmount. Yes, the area is coming back but I wouldn't suggest walking around either location at night. It was sad even back then to drive along North Broad Street and see what "once was"
This is the case with just about every - if not every - city in the US. People moved to the suburbs and the cities deteriorated. There is, though, an urban revival in some cities despite the spike in crime. I don't know where it's safe in the US. Last year in San Francisco and New York I did not feel safe, especially at night - even in affluent areas.

This is the case with just about every - if not every - city in the US. People moved to the suburbs and the cities deteriorated. There is, though, an urban revival in some cities despite the spike in crime. I don't know where it's safe in the US. Last year in San Francisco and New York I did not feel safe, especially at night - even in affluent areas.
Very true. Even Fort Lauderdale, which boasts one of the best beaches I know of, is only safe at night in certain areas. Even a police officer there told me to avoid a particular section of that city at night and that was back in 2005.

Many of these properties are multi ownership within a family with ongoing disputes of ownership or it's vague who actually owns it so the 'owners' don't want to invest money in it in case they lose property down the line. Or people inherit house and simply don't have money to maintain it.

Last edited:
Last year in San Francisco and New York I did not feel safe, especially at night - even in affluent areas.

What does this have to do with old mansions in Belgrano R...and toughen up...felt unsafe in affluent areas of NYC lmao

What does this have to do with old mansions in Belgrano R...and toughen up...felt unsafe in affluent areas of NYC lmao
Traveler mentioned a mansion in Philadelphia that had been torn down, commenting on the lack of safety in the area. I and others commented that this is an issue in most American cities. Sorry the comment offended you.

Back