Seeking Laid Back Towns in Argentina

There are so many cool towns... but Mendoza is quite large... and Montevideo is that way too. What exactly are you looking to find? How large? for how long? Ocean views, Mountains? near river? Do you speak a little spanish to survive in a smaller town? do you want to mix with locals? Based on all this info, I can recommend only the best for you.

El Bolson near Bariloche is really chill and small and has a great feel to it. It is technically Patagonia though, so it's getting pretty cold down there now.
It's the hippie haven of Argentina, apparently.
Rosario is also nice, but it's similar to Bsas in that it's a real city with traffic and industry. It is much cleaner and has everything good that a real city has to offer. It's also really close to here.

Reactions: Joe
well, i've been there now a couple of times. make sure not to miss the following:

- parque san martin
- rest. azafran
- rest. 1884 (by francis mallmann)
- rest. 'bistro M' (park hyatt, mendoza)
- bodega catena zapata (looks like a mayan temple)

enjoy!

EliasBB said:
There are so many cool towns... but Mendoza is quite large... and Montevideo is that way too. What exactly are you looking to find? How large? for how long? Ocean views, Mountains? near river? Do you speak a little spanish to survive in a smaller town? do you want to mix with locals? Based on all this info, I can recommend only the best for you.

I probably would prefer a small city to a small town just due to availability of conveniences. I just don't want the noise and bad air of the big city.

I studied Spanish a lot in school, but I have discovered sadly that those brain cells have died, so I am back to beginner Spanish, sigh...

I like cooler/cold weather. I love trees and the mountains.

I am on just an exploratory trip to Argentina and expect to go back in the Spring and then perhaps back to Japan (maybe Sapporo for the winter).

My current thoughts are one week in Montevideo, July in Mendoza, two weeks going down Chile coast, a few days of skiing somewhere, August/Sep in Bariloche. Would appreciate comments on this itinerary and other towns to consider.

Check out La Plata. It's a small city (compared to BA), quieter, but still close to BA (60 km). It's a planned city, with parks/green spaces every 6 blocks and intersting grid layout with many diagonals. We did a day trip last weekend and really enjoyed it. ;)

Go north of Mandoza to San Juan - like a breath of fresh air after the tourist blitz of Mendoza. Very relaxed and clean. And visit my friends at San Juan de Cuyo while you're there.

Back