selling property - best way to recieve payment?

one last comment, glass of wine in hand, if the x is involved in the sale of said property and its in peso’s, you should have your guard up. way to easy to take advantage of half of who knows what. ben....you got a friend to compare real estate values vs price sold for. pesos vs dollars.

Seriously, the buyer must pay in the currency you agreed upon, if it is usd, he should show up with the usd bills at the escribania, or deposit usd into your local bank account. If you use a cambista, you will be losing money ( they do not exchange money for free ). You or your wife can deposit the money in a local bank account ( pesos or dollars ) and just wire it wherever. You need to figure out where you go right after you get all these bills ( bank, home, safe, etc ).

Never heard of bundles of pesos. Bundles of dollars yes. You should agree a dollar price never a peso one anyway imho. Good luck!

I totally agree that the property should have been priced and paid in dollars but unfortunately I nor my wife had any control over the proceedings.

I totally agree that the property should have been priced and paid in dollars but unfortunately I nor my wife had any control over the proceedings.
If the property is in the pronvincia is it common that they are priced in pesos not us dollars . If you sending the money overseas make sure that the paperwork is stellar proving the donation to your partner

Seriously, the buyer must pay in the currency you agreed upon, if it is usd, he should show up with the usd bills at the escribania, or deposit usd into your local bank account. If you use a cambista, you will be losing money ( they do not exchange money for free ). You or your wife can deposit the money in a local bank account ( pesos or dollars ) and just wire it wherever. You need to figure out where you go right after you get all these bills ( bank, home, safe, etc ).

The property was sold suddenly and my wife recieved a plastic bag of pesos! Classic Argentina. The ex husband didnt consult with my wife how he would handle things. The money is in a safe place for now but its in pesos....

Do you think it will it be possible to deposit the money from the sale of the property into my regular dollar savings account with the bank converting the pesos to dollars? The money is officially my wife's - as a donation from her ex husband. She doesnt have an account as she doesnt have work en blanco. She got a 'declaracion de venta' of the sale from the escribano but its not the official comprobante de venta as that takes time to process. Presuming I can use my account to deposit the money would the bank accept simply the declaracion or would we have to wait until we get the comprobante?

Last edited:
can wait for someone knows to answer the question. in the US, the bank is obligated to notify the fed if a cash transaction excides 10,000. i once went to several different branches depositing 8 and 9 thousand. just a thought for now. if and when the money transfers, you will need to show the source. you could also rent a safety deposit box

can wait for someone knows to answer the question. in the US, the bank is obligated to notify the fed if a cash transaction excides 10,000. i once went to several different branches depositing 8 and 9 thousand. just a thought for now. if and when the money transfers, you will need to show the source. you could also rent a safety deposit box

Right, so I could change the pesos for dollars in the bank and then put the dollars straight into the safe deposit box?

Right, so I could change the pesos for dollars in the bank and then put the dollars straight into the safe deposit box?
i do think thats what i would do until you know what your doing. its argentina, and normal rules don’t apply. safest place for cash is in the bank somewhere. really cumbersome to handle cash. the gov rate vs the blue rate is not as big a difference as in the past. they dont have title companies or escrow accounts. i dont know what the present banking laws allow for conversion to US dollars. i believe its possible today without gov permission. my advise to you is put the pesos in a safe deposit box in your bank. its safe. remember, somebody knows you have that cash. next find out what the bank requires to convert and deposit into your dollars account. my account in the past in argentina, had a peso account separate from the dollar account. it was closed because i was not a resident only owned property. secure the cash in the bank, somewhere, and start a asking questions. the best senario is you deposit the pesos in your account as pesos, the bank converts it to dollars, you send it to the US bank account, you declare it on your taxes, pay the capital gains tax , and walk away. sometimes, clearing the central bank, US dollars leaving argentina causes delays. i dont know the present state or mind set of this administration. cueva’s were used in the past to avoid the central bank. it gets complicated, park the money, and find someone that knows what they are doing.

Back