Send TV to Europe, suggestions?

katti

Registered
When moving here, we brought a new HD TV from Belgium. Unfortunately it doesn't work here (Pal instead of Pal-N). We have a transformer but the quality is so bad that it is no use having such a good TV.

As my son will be moving back to Belgium by the end of the year to go to University and will be needing a TV, we were thinking of sending it back to Belgium, which is probably cheaper then buying him a new one there.

Any suggestions on how I should do that? Just get DHL/FED EX to do it? Will probably be expensive. Will I have to pay taxes (I can probably show invoice that I have bought it in Belgium), plus I have the stamp in my passport that we brought a container with goods in.

All advise welcome!

katti said:
When moving here, we brought a new HD TV from Belgium. Unfortunately it doesn't work here (Pal instead of Pal-N). We have a transformer but the quality is so bad that it is no use having such a good TV.

As my son will be moving back to Belgium by the end of the year to go to University and will be needing a TV, we were thinking of sending it back to Belgium, which is probably cheaper then buying him a new one there.

Any suggestions on how I should do that? Just get DHL/FED EX to do it? Will probably be expensive. Will I have to pay taxes (I can probably show invoice that I have bought it in Belgium), plus I have the stamp in my passport that we brought a container with goods in.

All advise welcome!

Why don't you just send it back with your son?

Are you sure it won't work here?

A couple years ago another expat gave me an older SONY Trinitron from Europe. She didn't want it because it only displayed a black and white image here. She said it might display a color image with a PAL-N converter.

I bouught a converter on mercado libre for $100 pesos. Even with the converter, the picture was still in black and white.

Even though I had no idea it would change anything, I started perssing buttons in the front control panel.

The first button I pressed changed the image from black and white to color (without the converter).

If you buy a converter form a licensed business you will have several days to return it (for credit only) if it doesn't work.

But I suggest you press a few buttons first.

(I used to have a 42" Philips plasma TV made in Belgium. I bought in CF at Garbarino in 2006. The power supply failed after three years and it was impossible to have it repaired in Argnentina. I WILL NEVER BY A PHILIPS PRODUCT AGAIN...THE ONLINE REVIEWS ARE WORTH READING!)

steveinbsas said:

A couple years ago another expat gave me an older SONY Trinitron from Europe. She didn't want it because it only displayed a black and white image here. She said it might display a color image with a PAL-N converter.

I bouught a converter. Even with the converter, the picture was still in black and white.

Even though I had no idea it would change anything, I started perssing buttons in the front control panel.

The first button I pressed changed the image from black and white to color (without the converter).

We've tried everything. We do have colours, but the quality is very low.

bradlyhale said:
Why don't you just send it back with your son?

It's quite big, and is it safe? Will they handle it with care? Knowing the way suitcases are treated...

I suggest you try a converter before you do anything esle, including selling it or sending it back to Europe,

steveinbsas said:
I suggest you try a converter before you do anything esle, including selling it or sending it back to Europe,

We have tried 2 converters already. Without a converter there is nothing...

Greg2231 said:
Are you using Directtv or Cable?

Cable, but that does not matter. Direct TV does not have Pal either (I checked).

steveinbsas said:

I bouught a converter on mercado libre for $100 pesos. Even with the converter, the picture was still in black and white.

If you buy a converter form a licensed business you will have several days to return it (for credit only) if it doesn't work.

But I suggest you press a few buttons first.

(I used to have a 42" Philips plasma TV made in Belgium. I bought in CF at Garbarino in 2006. The power supply failed after three years and it was impossible to have it repaired in Argnentina. I WILL NEVER BY A PHILIPS PRODUCT AGAIN...THE ONLINE REVIEWS ARE WORTH READING!)

That's funny that it ended up working just with pushing buttons. We tried everything including the converter. Are you sure you're not picking up NTSC channels? It is PAL/NTSC/Secam compatible.

Funny, that TV is Belgian too! I bought it when I was in Uni in Brussels! lol. Did I ever give you the remote?

Katti, if you don't find a solution we could take it back with us. But not sure when that will be, around Jan maybe. I wouldn't send it back on the plane unless you pack it really well. Sleuth brought his flat screen with him on the plane. Maybe you could ask him how he did it. Also, DirectTV is NTSC which your TV should be able to receive.

Back