Sending a container to Arg from the US

Jim Prideaux

Registered
Does anyone have experience doing this? I had read somewhere that Aduanas lets visa holders receive a container full of their stuff without fees/custom duties. I want to bring a new home gym here -- LifeFitness Treadmill (the cost of buying a LifeFitness here is north of $10k), rower, etc. Also, if possible, is it secure or will the customs officials steal the contents?

Does anyone have experience doing this? I had read somewhere that Aduanas lets visa holders receive a container full of their stuff without fees/custom duties. I want to bring a new home gym here -- LifeFitness Treadmill (the cost of buying a LifeFitness here is north of $10k), rower, etc. Also, if possible, is it secure or will the customs officials steal the contents?

Returning Citizens and diplomats from a long stay abroad, can enter a container with their belongings acquired abroad. Permanent Visa Holders? maybe.

However if you know a Forwarder that can bribe the Customs Agents , to consider your New Home Gym to fall into used household effects, as an exempt category you are OK.

When you move from temporary to permanent residency status you get a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to bring a container with any worldly possessions. There is a limited window of time to do this. Technically you need to have owned anything for 6 months prior to sending and may be asked for proof of purchase.

So, go on a shopping spree 6 months prior to sending - lock them up in a storage locker for 6 months if necessary and then find a good broker/shipping company to take care of everything for you. Make sure they have good insurance - although I can't imagine a customs official putting a LifeFitness Treadmill under their shirt and walking out of the airport / port without being noticed by security cameras.

If you are not changing from temporary residence any time soon, don't bother. I think you can bring household items but you will need to pay a very expensive bond that guarantees you will take it back with you when your temporary residency expires - by which stage you should have probably just paid $10k to buy one here to sell it when you're done here.

i had a container shipped here as part of my work relocation. i did load it with several nice things for myself and others, and surprisingly i had no issues at all (except for it taking about 4 months to get here and delivered). i also paid no duties, although they didn't look very closely at my things the day of inspection. perhaps because i had people assisting me through the whole process, or i caught them on a lazy day.

i wouldn't take my example as the standard though...

It's customary for folks at my company to ship stuff to an incoming employee's house to be stuffed into their container. Mostly mattresses and stuff that you can't get here or are way to expensive. $5kusd for a simmons pillow top, give me a break....

Relocating to Argentina under contract with a local/Foreign company will give you an allowance to enter you household effects duty free..!

Does anyone have experience doing this? I had read somewhere that Aduanas lets visa holders receive a container full of their stuff without fees/custom duties.....

Waiver of custom duties NOT applicable unless the person returning to ARG holds prior Permanent Residency in ARG. Must have been away from ARG for 2 years or more and said benefit is only available 1 time every 7 years according to the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, Comercio Internacional y Culto.

CERTIFICADO DE RESIDENCIA / MUDANZA A ARGENTINA
Certificado de residencia: para presentar en la Aduana (para argentinos que regresan a vivir a Argentina)

Este certificado es el que exige la Administración Nacional de Aduanas a los extranjeros que obtengan la residencia permanente y a los argentinos que retornan al país luego de haber residido más de DOS (2) años en el exterior, a fin de permitirles el ingreso libre de impuestos de sus efectos personales y del hogar, siempre que por su cantidad, naturaleza o variedad no permitieren presumir que se importan con fines comerciales o industriales.

También tienen derecho a ingresar un automóvil siempre que su valor en aduana sea inferior o igual a QUINCE MIL DOLARES ESTADOUNIDENSES (u$s 15.000) o su equivalente en otra moneda. Cuando su valor sea superior al citado importe se deberá tramitar la importación del bien en el marco de la Resolución Nº 5107 (ANA) del 9 de septiembre de 1980 y la totalidad de su valor quedará sujeto al pago de los tributos que gravan la importación para consumo.

Last edited:
Gracielle is right. At least, that's the way it worked when I relocated to Argentina. A full container of household stuff, including all kitchen cabinetry and appliances, made it intact. Could have brought a car as well, but chose to buy one here. Not a wise decision.

Gracielle is right. At least, that's the way it worked when I relocated to Argentina. A full container of household stuff, including all kitchen cabinetry and appliances, made it intact. Could have brought a car as well, but chose to buy one here. Not a wise decision.
I "relocated" twice...once in 1990 and again in 2005. The first time I brought a container full. The second time it was only 6 pallets each 5' x 5'. In both years the benefit was available 1 time every 5 years. In both occasions I opted for doing all the paperwork on my own rather than utilize a local despachante de aduana. I presented the paperwork at Aduana Dock Sud, where both shipments were retrieved, without any issues or having the contents being inspected. But today I would not recommend anyone doing it on their own.

I "relocated" twice...once in 1990 and again in 2005. The first time I brought a container full. The second time it was only 6 pallets each 5' x 5'. In both years the benefit was available 1 time every 5 years. In both occasions I opted for doing all the paperwork on my own rather than utilize a local despachante de aduana. I presented the paperwork at Aduana Dock Sud, where both shipments were retrieved, without any issues or having the contents being inspected. But today I would not recommend anyone doing it on their own.

Doing it on your Own. Only recomendable for a bilingual long time resident of Argentina, aware of shortcuts, local avivadas plus how to grease palms. Among other things. Age and sex may be a factor..?

Last edited:
Back