Sending a package to Argentina limits? and company to use?

littlepenguin

Registered
I was wondering if anyone could help me with sending a package to Argentina.

We would like to send some nutritional supplements for my son, as we are visiting Antartica. We would also like to send some food items that he likes (no meat or dairy).

We will be flying from America to Buenos Aires, and then onto Ushuaia. So we would ideally like to send a parcel to Ushuaia. That way we will know that we have the things we need prior to getting there, without having to worry about lost luggage or other problems.

Currently we have not found anyone willing to receive the parcel for us. The company we are using say that due to receiveing limits? they cannot receive it for us. What is this about? Is there a limit on how much you can receive in Argentina?

We would ideally like it to arrive ahead of us. Previously we have done this (in other countries) by sending it to a hotel and having them keep it for us. Then we collect the package and pay the taxes either on arrival or by card when the package arrives.

Could anyone help with their experiences of having things sent to Argentina?
Is fed ex best to use? Could fed ex hold the package for us in an office somewhere in Ushuaia?

The postal service is a sick combination between a Black Hole and a broken toy. I would suggest NOT shipping from abroad, You might do so once within our borders.

From abroad, goods will likely get "lost". Lots of sticky fingers in the system.OR the recipient will get the full Gestapo treatment trying to recover the stuff.
Customs will try to tax the liquid out of his body, impose endless waits and needless humiliations all mainly designed to make him give up on ever claiming what is rightfully his and force him to move on with his life and skip the aggravation.
Your loss, their daily loot.
Ship the package once in Argentina, not before.

My experience confirms iznogud's - package will never arrive wherever its intended destination. It may or may not be found. My family has given up even using fedex. Last fedex of documents only cost $83 and three day delivery took about two weeks. My sister recently rec'd an empty package returned from Argentina, which she sent Christmas 2010... she tells me inside had been Blue Planet DVD, which did not make it back... My mom told my yesterday she rec'd a returned package that she sent before Christmas 2011. Inside only photos - the photos made it back.

So you would suggest just bringing the stuff we need with us. What I worry about is our luggage getting lost on the way (it has happened a few times before).

Also, there is a 5kg limit to how much food we can bring? If we go over that will they take it off us or just tax us for it?

It must be hard living in a place you cannot receive mail as an expat, no offence.

Expat or not (I'm not), it's inhuman at this point of communications and trade evolution.
Postal (dis)Service has always been a source of anger and rage, now add the Gestapo-like attitude of the local IRS and you start to think of being isolated as a good way to avoid needless stress.

I count on (new) friends to bring the occasional goodie. :)

Never heard of a 5kg restriction on edibles. You are a couple, don't concern yourselves with it, no one is going to produce a scale.

Lost luggage not more frequent than anywhere else. Opened and "lightened" might be. As my SOP, I never lock them. Better relieved of some items than find myself with a busted case.

I've had LOTS of edibles shipped from NYC and New Orleans to BA and never had any issues. I suggest USPS standard shipping and always get a tracking number! I once had something expedited (via FedEx) and the tax rates were crazy receiving the package. You will have to fetch the packages from Retiro (international post office) which is a headache in itself. I HIGHLY suggest going there at 3:30. They close at 4 and the staff seems to work a lot harder knowing they're out of there within an hour.

But yes, bring what you can as well as any visitors.

SUERTE.

I'm guessing with the lightened luggage issue, they take things of value? Rather than food or used clothing?

Back