Sending Packages from The US

zwwatson

Registered
I just moved to B.A. after backpacking around South America for a year. Now, I desperately need my mother to ship my computer down from the states. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? Are there taxes involved? What is the best means to do it?

Thanks, Zach

I am not sure if you could do this or not. If you brought it with you on a flight no problem. There's a distinction made between personal baggage and something shipped separately. You could be in for the hassle of your life getting it into the country. By the time you pay the cost to ship it, plus duties, my guess is you would be better off buying something locally(perhaps second hand)? I would suggest you check with UPS or some like company and see what they tell you.

Don't do it. Read through the many other horror stories on this site.

Ibid 3

DO NOT "SHIP IT"!!

Mule it or fly back and get it or buy something on Mercado Libre, but do NOT "ship it". Aduana LOVES fools who ship computers.

If this was something you can't replace, there are *"alternative"* solutions to import things here but since a small used netbook costs here 150 dollars, it's not really worth the trouble.
Of course it depends what kind of computer you need.

Agreed. Do NOT ship it! An alternative may be to ship only the hard drive if there is specific information that is needed. My husband's company recently did this for him instead of shipping an entire computer. He received it within 8 days.

Back