Seriously Thinking Of Retiring In Ba

aescobar10

Registered
We are seriously thinking of retiring in Buenos Aires in about a year. My wife and I have a few advantage over most people thinking of moving or living there. 1) My wife is Argentinian and is a citizen 2) We both a fluent Spanish speaker and 3) My wife has lots of family there.

My question are:

1) As a U.S. Citizen I imagine that it would make it easier for me to obtain a permanent resident visa. Does anyone know if this is the case, and what the process would be?
2) We would like to take a bunch of our stuff, furniture, books, (cars?) there. What is the process to do that?

Thanks for your help

the answer to both your questions is-
lots of paperwork,
hiring experienced help to make it happen (lawyers, notarios, customs expediters)
and a long time.
years, to become a resident, most likely.
Probably close to a year to get your stuff.
Stuff is probably the hardest- there is a process, but its complicated.

lots of info on this site about the various types of visas and the process to become a resident.

Not worth the trouble for me. there will be complication w us taxes too, plus the above drag.

You would get permanent residency easily being yr argentine wife' husband.

Better come and rent a furnished apartment here and see how you like it before doing all those things you mentioned.

Even without a permanent papers, you can live here for 6 months legally..3 +3 and thats enough time to make a viewpoint of this place.

As a U.S. Citizen I imagine that it would make it easier for me to obtain a permanent resident visa. Does anyone know if this is the case, and what the process would be?

The fact that you are a U.S. citizen will not make it easier to obtain permanent residency, but the fact that you are married to an Argentine citizen will.

The details are here: http://www.migracion...tramercosur.php

then click on DOCUMENTACIÓN A PRESENTAR A FIN DE SOLICITAR RESIDENCIA COMO: FAMILIAR DE ARGENTINO O DE EXTRANJERO RADICADO EN FORMA PERMANENTE O TEMPORARIA (ART 22 DE LA LEY 25871)

My advice: Do NOT burn bridges and leave the US to live here "permanently". First of all, you will have to deal with health insurance costs. As you are presumably in your sixties, health insurance will be expensive, possibly very expensive. You already have Medicare in the US but it is not honored here. You will not qualify for senior citizen discounts unless someone wants to do you a favor. To qualify for the few discounts that exist you need to have a pension issued by the Argentine government. As someone pointed out, there are tax implications to living here that you would have to deal with. Then there is the high cost of living. Making such a radical change and the financial and bureaucratic commitment involved should only be considered after a lengthy period living here as a renter without any commitments. In my opinion, you will complicate the time of your life that should be as stress free as possible. Why not just come here a few months of the year and stay in a tourist rental apt?

To the OP: Out of curiosity, why do you want to retire in Argentina?

My advice: Do NOT burn bridges and leave the US to live here "permanently". First of all, you will have to deal with health insurance costs. As you are presumably in your sixties, health insurance will be expensive, possibly very expensive. You already have Medicare in the US but it is not honored here. You will not qualify for senior citizen discounts unless someone wants to do you a favor. To qualify for the few discounts that exist you need to have a pension issued by the Argentine government. As someone pointed out, there are tax implications to living here that you would have to deal with. Then there is the high cost of living. Making such a radical change and the financial and bureaucratic commitment involved should only be considered after a lengthy period living here as a renter without any commitments. In my opinion, you will complicate the time of your life that should be as stress free as possible. Why not just come here a few months of the year and stay in a tourist rental apt?

Very true living in BA today is more expensive that in the USA....!

Follow Sergio*s advice to the letter.Everything he says is point on.I am a US citizen who has lived in BA since 1979.I am 74 and both a US and an Argentine retiree -jubilado.I have lived thru 37 years in Argentina.Come down and live here a good year or two before deciding to make a permanent move.You don*t want to make a big mistake at this time of your life.
Things could improve with Macri*s govt -controlable inflation etc. but it*s still too early to be certain.If you^re little adventurous and can put up with a lot of inconveniences,you might enjoy retirement in BA.

We are seriously thinking of retiring in Buenos Aires in about a year. My wife and I have a few advantage over most people thinking of moving or living there. 1) My wife is Argentinian and is a citizen 2) We both a fluent Spanish speaker and 3) My wife has lots of family there.

My question are:

1) As a U.S. Citizen I imagine that it would make it easier for me to obtain a permanent resident visa. Does anyone know if this is the case, and what the process would be?
2) We would like to take a bunch of our stuff, furniture, books, (cars?) there. What is the process to do that?

1) I previously noted that you can get permanent residency because you are married to an Argentine citizen. You can also become an Argentine citizen without fulfilling the two year residency requirement.

2) There is a provision that a "returning Argentine citizen" who has been out of the country for one year (it used to be two but I believe now it is one) can import household goods without paying customs duties (with some restrictions of course) and there is a "limited window" in which this can be done.

If you come for a trial period I think the clock to do this would be reset and your wife would have to stay out of Argentina for a year before the household goods could be imported in her name.

That being said, there may be a window for you as a new permanent resident to do the same (rather than importing the household goods using your wife's status as a citizen).

Unless you have been visiting in recent years, I think the idea of a trial period of three to six months as suggested by other members is a great idea. There's no reason for you to apply for permanent residency until after you have arrived in Argentina and actually make the decision to live here, so I believe it would still be possible for you to have your household goods sent here after that decision is made (within six months?), but you would have to be a new permanent resident rather than a citizen at that point.

Only you can determine if the lifestyle you would "enjoy" BA is affordable and/or desirable: The three reasons you gave provide very good answers to the question "Why do you want to retire in BA?" You will have no problems with migraciones or communicating with the locals (speaking fluent Spanish will make everything SO much easier). If interacting with her relatives will make your wife happy (and hopefully, you as well), that could make the move worthwhile (and offset most of the negatives). Nonetheless, I agree with others who have made comments about tax issues and of course you should find out what you would be paying in both Argentina and the USA before you decide to make the move.

PS: If the cost of private health insurance is an issue: http://baexpats.org/...f-buenos-aires/

PS2: For more information about "moving household goods to Argentina" you can google that phrase and/or contact the member of this forum who is known as nikad. Her signature (at the bottom of each post) includes a link to this company: http://www.dinamomud...com/index_i.htm

Back