Servicio domestico rates

The blue rate has nothing to do with local salaries. I agree that $170 sounds low, but local conditions vary greatly. The rates paid in San Isidro are quite different from the rates paid in Moreno.
Agreed. Just because a foreigner has access to USD, he /she must pay higher rents, higher wages, tip more than locals?? No

He/she can opt to do so for humantarian reasons but not because he/she has USD access.

Lot of rich local people here are very stingy with money, salaries and everything related to money.

Last edited:
Criminal in the moral sense. For an expat with US dollars, 170 pesos is $1.20 blue.

The mother of my kid (an Argentinian) pays her. I have no control over it. This person has been working for this family for decades. Come tell these Argentinians that what they do is despicable, it's a free country. I'm sure they would love the opinion of some yanqui ex pat in Buenos Aires.

I agree that the currency you earn shouldn't determine the price you pay for labor or goods here.

Sad to say that sometimes paying a lot higher wage to a cleaning person can have the opposite effect than desired. They'll think that they can take advantage of you or that you're stupid in a sense.

When I find one that is good, I pay them the going rate or slightly higher, but will often give them a tip, give them extra money for their birthday, new year, always have good food for them to eat.

There is a difference between treating employees well and with respect, and being over generous where they will think you are a sucker.

Just my experience, I'm sure many have a different experience than mine.

Back