Setting up as a Freelancer in Baires

viadinho

Registered
Dear all,

I have been working here in BA for almost three years for a local company and I now feel like a change of scene. For this reason I have decided to set myself up as an independent Spanish-English translator/editor/copywriter with actual experience of working in this field for a locally based multinational. My real question is: how hard is it to get set up as a monotributista and what are the steps?

Best

I think you need to visit afip's website or visit any office of afip.

From what I understand, that is actually a very simple process. But I can't remember much of the details. I'll ask around and get back to you on that.

Many thanks. I already have a CUIL which should make things easier but I'm finding the AFIP website a bit of a struggle. Any/all assistance welcome.

Having a CUIL you need to complete a form, print it out and go to the shops (rapipago/pagofacil) to pay your montly payment. The point is: Which form do you need to complete? How is your Spanish to talk over the phone to AFIP?

viadinho said:
My real question is: how hard is it to get set up as a monotributista and what are the steps? Best

THe AFIP you'll have to go to depends on where you live. For example there's one on Luis María Campos between Santa Fe and the traintracks --near Cañitas. THere's also one on Sánchez de Loria if that rings a bell.

I would not try the phone, just go to an office and start the process there; as I recall it's easy. If you can't find your local office on their webb site using your zip code, ask around in local shops, eventually somebody will be able tell you.

By the way, what type of translating to you do?

freelancing is much easier as a monotributista. however, you cannot be a monotributista unless you have some type of visa, regardless of whether or not you have a CUIL. and you will have to keep renewing paperwork when your visa expires. i don't know for certain if a tourist visa will work...i kind of doubt it. you can look for the dependencias by address on the website, you'll need to go to the one that corresponds to your neighborhood. as far as paperwork, you'll need your passport, visa, i believe 2 different types of proof of address (i brought in a police certificate and then a bill in my name), a couple of forms that you get from them, and photocopies of everything. from there on out, it is a simple process. they give you a password and you start the process online. it takes about 24-48 hours to jumpstart the process, but once you have your account registered online, you can print off more paperwork and take it to an authorized copier to print your invoices. the amount you pay each month will depend on your earnings, and it will include some form of obra social, which you will have to sign up with independently. the afip website is really overwhelming, i'm still wading through it myself. good luck!

Back