Setting up the Basics?

dani28

Registered
I have decided to make the move down to Buenos Aires. Under the thought process that one can only regret what you don't do, and knowing that the US and Spain arent going anywhere and I can always come back to either of the two places, and also with it not being the case that I am leaving behind great job opportunities knocking at my door step, I am making the big move.

A few questions about setting up the basics:

Visas/Papers:
As I said before, I definitely want to try to find work in Buenos Aires of some sort, as soon as possible. I plan to put the pedal to the metal as soon as possible and start submitting CVs to prospective employers, and see if there is an opportunity that may be relevant to my education, career background, languages, and overall skills/qualifications, and thus be able to obtain a work visa.
If this doesnt happen or it takes too long, I will also look into the Visa Rentista. How exactly does this work? Do I just have to show x amount of bank statements demonstating x amount of income per month? Is there any legal documentation that needs to be put in?

Apartment:
I plan to rent an all-inclusive, fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment. From what I have seen on the prices on web sites such as BA Habitat (any experience using them?) I find them, in my opinion, to be rather inexpensive considering all the furniture, services and amenities you get at 1 flat price (IE: all utilities included, cable TV, wi-fi, land line, twice weekly cleaning service, electronic appliances IE hair dryers, toaster, coffee maker, etc, kitchen utensils, and linens)
Is there much room to negotiate, especially if I can assure them that I will be staying for a longer term stay and may even stay permanently?

Cell phone:
Will I be able to get a proper cell phone/PDA? I have heard opposite stories. Some have said that without a DNI, its impossible to get a cell phone contract, while others have said that I am able to get one using my passport, just as long as I have a bank account in Argentina (see latter) and agree to a direct debit payment system.

Banking:
I have been a customer of Citi Bank's Citi Gold division in both Spain and the US, and have a pretty good rapport with them. They have told me that there would be no problem in getting me set up with a bank account in Argentina and transfering over the ¨relationship level¨ that I have with the bank so that I'm not treated like the new kid on the block. I would also be eligible for a debit card, credit card, and an AMEX charge card, but would need to keep money in the bank so to assure them that I actually do have funds.
I'm not talking anything major, my savings would all stay in the Spain account in Euros, however maybe a few thousand a month in my Argentine Citi checking account. I know banking in Argentina has a shady reputation, but what about a major international bank like Citi bank? I really dont want to keep money under my mattress and would like to be able to enjoy banking benefits by keeping some money in a checking account, if this is possible.

I would be getting down there in mid may with 2 large suitcases and am wondering weather-wise what should I bring?

Thanks in advance,

Dani

Each of these questions have been answered in prior threads. Simply search under each category. Good luck! I just arrived in Palermo today : )

Back